Additional Consumer unit 20M away.

Sponsored Links
Well, ive made a start on this..

used armoured in the end due to where it is running and the fact that the roof may come off in order to build the extension, so in order to protect it say bricks getting dropped on it.. it sounded like a good idea to use amoured, + it was only 1.70per m.

Fitted a wylex metal clad switch fuse next to existing consumer unit, My god them things are bigger than they need to be!

Used 25mm tails, but thinking now 16mm would have been easier.. Just need YE to come out and add my new tails to their meter. (Ive connected switch fuse to a henley, Thought there was one when I first looked but there wasnt, ive also then added new cables running to just below the meter, pre stripped etc for them.

Anyway couple of questions / points..

How do you guys normally get the blanks out of the metal clad boxes.. the MK ones come out easily, but wylex are pants.. had to chisel one corner up, then rock it till the spot weld / bit snapped off..

Why do they make the big hole (for glands / cables etc), the wrong size (I know it isnt but you know what I mean)

Anybody know what the size hole is in the top of the wylex switch fuse, I want to order a brass bush / rubber grommet for the tails to pass through before it gets connected.

Do regs specify what size earth cable should be used to a 60A switch fuse?

Ive used 16, but the switch fuse looks like it should only take 6mm, I have stripped the 16mm back, split the strands into two. and then added these across two holes, looks neater than it sounds...

If I took some pics I would appreciate comments / guidance on your years of experience.

Also anybody got any pics of CU's they have installed, Im interested to see how people arrange the neutral cables, I like to run the lives down, then bend them back up and then down to the breaker, so it looks like and s on its side.

Yes, im not qualified, but I do have access to testers and understand how to use them, And look at it this way, its better than the kitchen fitters doing it.

David

Heating elements can split and you can end up with quite a hefty current running back through the earth rather than neutral, but the cooker merily carries on working. Whether you reckon this is a good thing or a bad thing rather depends.

If cooking with all metal pans gives you a real tingle all down your spine, maybe its not just the excitement of french cooking.

Sponsored Links
if you wan't to know the size of a hole than mesure it

i would always use 25mm tails and 16mm earth before the initial CUs this may be over the top but it is also almost certain to comply even if the main supply is later upgraded to 100A

I would measure it, if I could get a set of verniers or a tape measure in... will have to disconnect earth to get to it.. (i wanted it earthed asap)

Thought it may be a common size which someone knew, so I could just go buy some brass bushes in the correct size, or rubber grommets in the correct size.

Im not debating using 25mm tails before cu's, as that is what ive run from the henley to under the meter, ready for someone (YE / NEDL) to come cut the seal. There is a 25mm cable running to the existing CU allready, what I am saying is that I maybe should have used 16mm to the 60A switch fuse as it would have made it easier. (i've never fitted anything smaller than 25mm & 16mm earth)

The supply is allready 100A, every supply I have seen in leeds seems to be 100A, the only exception was an old metal cutout with a door that swung open & no earth other than provided by gas and water. Didnt test too well :eek:

Thats now had a plastic cutout and PME, Not that this is relevant though ;)

David

there are standard sizes for eloectrical holes

the frst two are 20mm and 25mm not sure what they are above that

20mm Ive got covered as Ive got 1000's of rubber grommets, Why do people not bother to fit them for the extra 1p or whatever it costs.. it will serve them right when they pull the cable to strip it and slice all three cores, and then it doesnt test properly.

25mm cant be it as I have a 6mm and two 25mm tails in it.. its the same size as the gland was for a 16mm two core swa.. however the consumer unit (wylex) again has a larger size hole and then 20mm knockouts between the two larger holes..

David

thats a very good point, hmm.. maybe I shouldnt be having wife beater for lunch.. glad I only have to work with computers!
Either way its around 30 - 40mm dia.

hmm.. now I struggle to remember Pie D squared over 4.. best get a quick sleep in.

David

hmm seems there are two sizes that fit in your range

32mm and 40mm

Ill get 10 of each, they will come in handy for something :).

Cheers

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back