Additional D.B.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to ask the experts a question please; a new build house is going to be built with an attached annexe area (to be occupied by an elderly family member). The D.B. for the main house will be quite far away from the annexe area, would you run a sub main across to serve an additional D.B. in the annexe to supply the annexe, or run the circuits from the main D.B. which serves the main house.

Sponsored Links
an attached annexe area ( to be occupied by an elderly family member ).

just call it a Granny flat you posho :)

I'd run a submain unless the "annex" has access to the main house otherwise the "elderly family member" won't be able to reset the breaker if one pops while you're out..

it also gives you the option of installing a pay meter to charge seperately if in the future you have the desire to rent it out for student accomodation etc... ( old people don't stay old forever.. we all wear out eventually )

I'd strongly suggest splitting the tails and going via a switchfuse to the 2nd CU, rather than come off a breaker in the house CU.

Depending on the existing / intended additional loads, it might be prudent to have a new supply installed by your local electricity provider.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the existing / intended additional loads, it might be prudent to have a new supply installed by your local electricity provider.

When you say 'new' supply, I am currently on single-phase. I assume you don't mean I would need to upgrade to a 3-phase supply.

Or do you mean a 'bigger' single-phase supply? Can you upgrade a single phase supply, I thought that they were all the same size and capabilty.

he means a seperatre supply to the granny flat.. as in it's own cable from the street and it's own meter etc..

True.

Shall we list all of the regulations with which the entire job, from meter to final circuits, will have to comply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back