Additional radiators (thread moved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies for parading my ignorance and if this is already covered elsewhere in the forum.

I would like to run a pipe from my hall radiator through to the newly converted garage to living space. The existing rad is fed by 10mm pipework. Can anyone tell me how many BTU's or radiators a 10 mm flow/return can handle. The hall rad is small and I am looking to add a 4,500 BTU radiator.

Will I get sufficient hot water through the 10mm loop to handle this?

Thanks & regards to all the experts out there.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
10mm pipes are taken from the flow and return manifolds ,to each radiator. and your new radiator should be done this way , rather than tapping into an existing rads supply. I would not go as far as to say it will not work , but it can be very tricky to balance the system and it is not likely to work as well if indeed at all to an acceptable level .the other thing to take into account is can your boiler accomodate the additional rad .

Thank you Terry for taking the time to reply. The boiler is OK, locating and accessing the manifold is a different matter, hence the cheeky thought of piggybacking off of a rad supply. Assuming temperature,pressue and flow rates through the 10mm is constant, is there a specification of BTU's deliverable through a 10mm pipe?

Cheers

a BTU. is a unit of heat ,and its relevance in a central heating system is more to do with the heat output of the boiler and radiators ,as opposed to the size of pipework. the problem with what you are proposing to do ,is will the flow of water branch off equally to the existing rad and the new one.as it will always take the path of least resistance .when you cut a "T" into each of the 2 pipes that currently go to existing rad ,to provide the branch pipes to the new rad ,you are effectively making resistance ....if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
10mm copper tube holds 0.06 litres per metre.
0.06 x 10dt x 4.2 (shc) = 2.52 kw/hr @ a velocity of 1m/s.
2.52 x 3412 = 8,600 BTU's.
10mm tube has a heat carrying capacity of 8,600 BTU,s , max velocity would be 1 m/s @ a dt of 10c.
A dt of 20 c will yield a heat carrying capacity of 5.04 kW/hr
Correct sizing of pipework is detriment to the correct workings of a heating system/circulator.
15mm tube holds 0.14 litres per metre.
22mm tube holds ................
28mm tube holds.................

the problem with what you are proposing to do ,is will the flow of water branch off equally to the existing rad and the new one.as it will always take the path of least resistance .
Which is the reason lock shield valves are fitted in order to 'balance' the heat load to each radiator , or DRV's for the commercial sector.
Cut the branches for the radiator into the main flow/return @ manifold if not a spare tapping.

Gentlemen

Thank you for your extensive knowledge and being generous enough to take the time to provide some very useful information, it is much appreciated.

Thanks again and best wishes to you.

T

Hi all,

Apologies for parading my ignorance and if this is already covered elsewhere in the forum.

I would like to run a pipe from my hall radiator through to the newly converted garage to living space. The existing rad is fed by 10mm pipework. Can anyone tell me how many BTU's or radiators a 10 mm flow/return can handle. The hall rad is small and I am looking to add a 4,500 BTU radiator.

Will I get sufficient hot water through the 10mm loop to handle this?

Thanks & regards to all the experts out there.

It'll work great, done it loads of times. With a condensing boiler & correctly sized system you'll get around 5KW heat carrying capacity from a 10mm copper tube.

Yes, but all depending on the length of 10 mm tube.

The longer it is the more pump pressure is required and in a practical system you can only expect a pump head of 1-2 m.

Yes, but all depending on the length of 10 mm tube.

The longer it is the more pump pressure is required and in a practical system you can only expect a pump head of 1-2 m.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Is that one of your Stand-Up gags Tony?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back