Additional sockets plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m a DIYer planning to add some sockets and resolve some double spur issues I have found on my parent’s mains rings. There are two 30A rings, one serving the front of the house and the other, the rear. As there are crawl spaces on either side of the house, I have been able to trace the circuits easily, although the diagrams I have made do not accurately represent the distance between the sockets. Luckily there is conduit feeding every socket and I can carry out my work from the crawl spaces without damaging walls or lifting any floors.

Please let me know if my plans to modify the circuit are correct. The parts shown in pink are my proposed additions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• House-Mains-Front-Diagram.jpg
    House-Mains-Front-Diagram.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 53
  • House-Mains-Back-Diagram.jpg
    House-Mains-Back-Diagram.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
I will have to use a short length of trunking. What size would be appropriate for 2x 2.5mm twin and earth that has to negotiate a corner?

Sponsored Links
Mini Trunking size 4 (MT4 or YT4) might be a good start, plenty room, allows a bit of air circulation, easy to fit, does not look too bad on wavy walls light the smaller sizes do, no need to use those joints they sell that look like big knuckles if you are any good with a junior hacksaw it can be a nice neat job. You could cram in MT2 but less air circulation so more chance of overheating though and MT3 is wider but not higher but I`d stll suggest MT4. All other things being equal, of course but you might think that it looks a bit oversize with you décor.

PS - One tip, if you using more than one piece of trunking. Example, lets say you us 4 for instance. Remove lids and neatly fit the base channels. Do not fit lids over them to line up because you will joins on both pies lining up. Saw the first lid in half neatly and fix it in position. Then use the remaining 3 pieces. Then fit that last half. Gives it more strength on the joints so it looks a prooper job and should remain pretty much so throughout its lifetime.
I have seen some pretty poor trunking jobs over the years.
PPS - Often using sticky backed stuff is best for initial fixing but I would still add a few screws per length cos the sticky stuff does tend to lose some stickiness depending upon location, over time.
PPPS - It often looks neater to make the trunking longer that actually required - forming a straight line end to end of ceiling to floor or corner to corner looks more natural than stopping in mid-space then ending with a socket/switch pattress so offset the pattress accordingly.
PPPPS - it often looks neater if it is permissible to put it in a corner of some kind - looks more natural but might make longer cable runs a consideration.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back