Socket in loft.. Part p query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning install a double socket in my loft and take the cable from a socket in a room below....I belive that this is ok for me (DIYer) to do myself providing that i do it safetly ?? Part P states that adding sockets to existing ring circuits does not need to be notified. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help

J

Sponsored Links
As long as it's not from a kitchen or shower/bathroom then notification isn't required.

Arguably though, the new cable length and socket should be protected by an RCD or RCBO.

Sponsored Links
OK jtownson.

How will you run the cable (surface, buried less than 50mm, or other)? What's the socket for (specific item or general usage)?

It will only be buried under plasterboard, so probabaly less the 50mm and the cable will be in a bedroom - not running through a bathroom or anything.

I was going to put a fused connection unit (with switch) on the cable with a 13amp fuse just before the cable goes into the loft. I am hoping to put a double socket in the loft with one socket for a tv distribution amplifier and the other for an LCD tv.

Any thoughts?

I was going to put a fused connection unit (with switch) on the cable with a 13amp fuse just before the cable goes into the loft.
Why?

I am hoping to put a double socket in the loft with one socket for a tv distribution amplifier and the other for an LCD tv.
A TV in the loft?

Any thoughts?
If your socket circuit is a ring final (most are), have you verified that the socket from which you plan to run the cable is on the ring, and is not itself a spur?

Does the circuit have RCD protection?

Info on concealed cables:

Strictly speaking the circuit, or at least the new bit, should be RCD protected. If you had done the job before last July it wouldn't have needed to be, though you would still have had to run the cable in a safe zone. Mmm...

Its a new house - built April last year so i am assuming that all the sockets are on the ring (will check). The ring main has an RCD in the consumer unit.

The tv is going to be fitted in the top corner of another room and i was either going to run the kettle lead to the socket in the loft or put a socket on the wall (or ceiling - is tha allowed??) at the the back of the tv.

Someone on another thread reccomended putting the FCU in, i am not sure why either?

Just had a look at the following link;

http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/Wire..._wiring_matters_cables_conceiled_in_walls.pdf

In the picture on the second page of "Permitted Cale Runs" there is no blue lines near the socket nearest to the door (nearest to the floor) which is where my socket is - why is that? Is that because there are no permitted runs for that socket?!

Things are getting pretty complicated here!

Thanks all.

Where should the RCD go then? or will the existing RCD in the consumer unit be enough?

I could at a push put the new cable right to the back of the plaster board wall and that might make the depth more then 50mm ;) ha ha thus meeting the regulations - I wouldnt do that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back