Adhesive for kitchen floor on ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm tilling my kitchen floor, I've just finished screwing down 18mm WBP Ply throughout and my 300mm sqr ceramic tiles are ready to rock.

Q. What adhesive do I use? I've read lots of blogs but many are focused on the demands of wet room tiling but I get the feeling that might be overkill for a 'relatively' dry kitchen floor. I've got some Mapei fast set flex adhesive but some advise against fast set products. A tiler friend said use Gripfill, but many forums seem to hate it - but again they're usually discussing wet rooms, so how about in my kitchen?

Cheers for any advice.

P.S. Thanks to all on DIY for all the help you're posts have already been.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any tile adhesive will be fine in your circumstance . I always use a bal because it is generally regarded as the best for your buck, but I have been known to use own brand and all sorts in the past.....but not grip fill.......

Sponsored Links
What are you fixing the 18mm WBP to? How have you fixed it? Did you seal the back & edges? No unsupported edges? If it’s joists, what size/pitch/span are they?

Subject to floor construction 18mm is usually OK for a light load/use area such as a bathroom but risking it a bit over a heavy load/use area like a kitchen!

I would not rely on info from blogs unless they are also in the trade, it may be DIY advice which is not always sound. Use this or any of the other trade tile forums.

What ever addy you use, it must be a flexi over a suspended floor. I also use BAL & Rapidset flexi is ideal if you need to grout & finish the same day but if that’s not essential then go for a Single Part Flexible (SPF) which has a much longer pot life. Only use a solid thick bed trowel, you need 100% adhesive coverage under the tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back