Adhesive problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started tiling today and mixed the adhesive as per instructions. 1 part water to 2 1/2 parts powder. I used 6 500ml jugs of water and 15 jugs of 500ml powder.

My problem was i noticed that the adhesive was just running out of the joints of the tiles and down the face of them. Is this because the mixture was too wet and what should i do to get it right?

Sponsored Links
I never adhesive that way,I mix it by eye adding more adhesive or water as required.When its mixed in the bucket it should be firm enough to hold its shape if you furrow it with a trowel.
Ive been told a consistencey of whipped cream.
Are you mixing by hand or using a drill?

Mix is definitely too wet. I’m the same as Lance & always mix by eye, never volume; mix it a little on the dry side initially & then add more water very slowly, it only take a little too much water to turn it to slop.

Thanks guys. I'm mixing by hand. Its the first time i've mixed adhesive, i normally use the tubbed stuff so i followed instructions. I will mix a little today by eye and see what happens. Hopefully the tiles will stay on the wall :)

Sponsored Links
Out of interest why are you choosing to use powder adhesive on the walls, don't get me wrong, heroes always use powder, but if you are used to tubs, why the change?

Out of interest why are you choosing to use powder adhesive on the walls, don't get me wrong, heroes always use powder, but if you are used to tubs, why the change?

tubbed addy would be good for large format tiles then!!!...say porcalain 600x300!!!! or any other size over 300mm!! :rolleyes:

Are you sure its not 1 part water to 2.5 parts adhesive by WHEIGHT.
By BAL stuff is 1 part water to 4 parts adhesive by WHEIGHT.

So you advise tubed addy for 600 x 300 tiles then :?: & why do only hero’s use powder :confused:

tubbed addy would be good for large format tiles then!!!...say porcalain 600x300!!!! or any other size over 300mm!! :rolleyes:

Is he using large format tiles? I didn't see him mention that if he did.
If you read my post I wasn't suggesting he use the tubbed stuff, I was asking why he WASN'T using it. Maybe he wanting it to go quicker for example, or was using porcelain ...or like you said, he was using a large format.

...or maybe, just maybe, he had bought a powdered adhesive when he had a ceramic tile smaller than 300x300 and could have used a tub like he was used to.

On another note, the mix 9 times out of 10 should be by weight.

Is he using large format tiles? I didn't see him mention that if he did.
Criticism in this instance would be unfair but the regulars on here tend to keep an eye on what’s occurring; take a look at Tony’s profile posts & you will see what he’s up to;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1519585#1519585
now decide for yourself on the merits this criticism & your previous comment to the OP ;)
If you read my post I wasn't suggesting he use the tubbed stuff,
Sorry but that's not my impression at all; you derided sound recomends to use a cement addy & almost seem to be implying something derogatory to that advice & you still haven’t explained why you think "heroes" use powder addy, which really intrigues me :rolleyes:

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the tip, i'm not a huge forum person and I therefore can be expected to make faux pas of not knowing the past comments and questions of users. To be honest though, a quick " because he is using large format tiles" would have been more than sufficient than a rude rebuttal and I am more than unimpressed by the harsh treatment of someone who obviously is out of the loop and has only been using the forum for what...a couple of hours when that comment was made.
I don't expect to be welcomed or anything but his reply was about as friendly as a kick in the face.

Anyway, nastiness aside.

Now, for the "heroes use powder" comment, in my experience and preference powder is the first choice for any tiling work. Only go down to tubs when the area is so small it is just not worth mixing.
I was trying to show that although I was questioning why he was using powder, i was not knocking it as I, and anyone I know worth their salt prefers it to tubbed anyday.

unimpressed by the harsh treatment of someone who obviously is out of the loop and has only been using the forum for what...a couple of hours when that comment was made.
I don't expect to be welcomed or anything but his reply was about as friendly as a kick in the face.
Don’t mind tactic; whereas I tend to waffle on & on, he's a man of few words so he can seem a bit "off" at times but he’s never actually been wrong as far as I’m aware ;) ; I keep tabs but, so far, no luck. :rolleyes:

Problem is we occasionally get “arse holes” on here whose sole purpose is to, argue where there is ambiguity, crucify/ridicule anyone who is less than totally correct & create havoc rather than be factual with advice &, as a result, we have lost some very knowledgeable contributors, including the author of our forum “sticky” & his tile cutter :LOL:; I've even come close to throwing in the towel a couple of times myself. It’s easy to be misunderstood when new to a forum & maybe a little more subtlety/clarity would have been better but, as I said, you can be forgiven for not to knowing/checking Tony’s project history.
Now, for the "heroes use powder" comment, in my experience and preference powder is the first choice for any tiling work. Only go down to tubs when the area is so small it is just not worth mixing. I was trying to show that although I was questioning why he was using powder, i was not knocking it as I, and anyone I know worth their salt prefers it to tubbed anyday.
I would never have concluded that from your post & I'm not sure I would agree with all of it but, anyway, I will extend a warm welcome to you; we can always do with fresh blood & good advice but what the forum doesn't need is a kick in the balls for those who try their best to give advice on a daily basis. 'Feignlights'. :cool:

ok, thanks.
Out of interest what part of it didn't you agree with? I thought preferring powder over tubbed was pretty standard? :confused:

Out of interest what part of it didn't you agree with? I thought preferring powder over tubbed was pretty standard? :confused:
For floors every time but a decent tub addy such as “White Star” would be my 1st choice for walls except where size/weight is an issue & grout time isn’t.

Ah, I see. Don't you find it slowing you down waiting for it to dry?
Ardex X77w for me :) C2FT(T)E(E) / S1.
Not much it can't be used for, is rapid setting but has an open time of up to an hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back