Adjacent garage roof... Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to order some box steel to reroof our garage and I went up to take some last min measurements and noticed that the neighbours garage roof actually extends a few inches over ours.

The problem is I was going to add a few blocks into the wall in order to raise the rafters and increase the peak, so I'd have to remove this overlap. I'm not sure if their roofing is asbestos or not. It's definitely a corrugated concrete.

The land registry when we moved in found the land and planning permission to knock down an existing building and build the garage was in 1984, but I can't be sure the neighbours is similar. All the garages share a brick front, but ours is a mostly Blockwork garage that's slightly separate (theirs a gap) but some of their rafters come through our wall. All in all, I can't tell if theirs was built at a similar time.

Is there any concrete (har) way to tell if it's asbestos?

Pics:

tQsQAIW.jpg

e6rT0kG.jpg

tAtczzw.jpg

Sponsored Links
I can't read any of your question on my phone screen as for some reason the writing is so small but if you want to know if it's an asbestos roof then it is.

I think the images are really huge, so it's made the text tiny! I'll try fix it (edit, think I have?)

So it's definitely asbestos. Damn. Really throws a scanner in the works.

The annoying thing is its not even my roof! Not sure what I can do about it.

The local tip accepts small quantities, but if I'd have to cut the sheet lengthwise to get it out of the way.

Maybe I could unscrew it and shift it along a corrugation or two.

Sponsored Links
Id say it was asbestos.....i bought an entire prefab garage off ebay once for £200 . I hired a truck and got 3 mates to help me pick it up......we put the roof into piles of 3 and as we were lifting a pile onto the truck the bottom one snapped and we dropped them. It kicked up a bit of dust and we just carried on ..They guy had told me it was cement boards but it turned out to be asbestos.......its the same as in the photos

Yes they are asbestos but are low in %(content)and can be safely removed DIY.
Just follow some basic rules and you'll be ok.

Google 'asbestos roofing sheets removal'and you'll find info on how to do it safely, it's pretty straightforward.

Yes they are asbestos but are low in %(content)and can be safely removed DIY.
Just follow some basic rules and you'll be ok.

Google 'asbestos roofing sheets removal'and you'll find info on how to do it safely, it's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, I've been having a look and its something I can do and take to the local tip. I'd have to shave the beard off for a mask though, damn.

Problem is... it's not actually my roof. Most of it is on someone eases land. I'd have to start taking up whole sheets and significant parts of their roof or cut/break it (not good, by all accounts).

I'll have to have a chat with the neighbor. They'd probably be happy to have me remove it all (I would if it was me) but they've just sold the house so are probably not going to be interested in doing anything like that!

There's your answer, new neighbours.
Get an oxygen mask an old cylinder and greet your new neighbours wearing that and wheezing.
Explain that you're convinced your health problems are caused by using your garage with an asbestos roof....new neighbours will get it removed pretty sharpish. :evil:

If your plan is to take it to the local tip, talk with them first - I have given up trying to get them to take my (non-asbestos - certs to prove it) garage roof; they have moved the goalposts four times now, each time I have turned up with them.

The missus will snap at some point, and I'll have to pay a waste carrier to shift them (they're currently bagged up, next to my hedge).

I would say 90% that they are asbestos.
Just put a mask on and grind the bolts off and lift them of in full sheets. Evan if they are fibre cement they would still be treated as when you try to dispose of them. Most household tips will take them but it will all have to be baged and sealed. There is a place at Croydon that you can take it to and they will give you a certificate to say that you have disposed of it, I think it costs about £400 a ton though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back