adjoining dormer roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbour is in the process of having their loft converted. However they have butted the dormer cheek right up to ours so we both sit on the party wall. I'm fine with that although its obviously not ideal.

Our cheek is tiled so fully weathered however their cheek is not and cant be tiled as its butted directly up to ours. that leads to a gap between the two flat roofs. their roof is about 4 inches higher than ours but they obviously want to felt between the two to create a seal as they have not weathered the cheek.... I think I'm within my rights just to say no but also accept that now they have butted it up we would not be able to service that cheek any way and probably wouldn't need to. Not sure where to go with this. If I just say no then it could cause an issue in the void but saying yes could lead to an issue in the future.

Any thoughts... What would be the best long term way to join the two or should I just stand firm and see what happens

Sponsored Links
If you say "no", what will happen to the water that runs down in between the cheeks when it gets to the roof? The builders have most likely removed any flashing that was there.

Exactly... Don't think I have any choice but to allow the join. If it was my conversion I wouldn't be happy that its not weathered but that's their issue. the gap between seems to small for a leaded gully but too wide to just felt

Sponsored Links
Ideal situation for both of you really, would have to removed the tiles from your cheek and butt right up to it or leave a small gap, cut out the verge and fascia from your cheek, bring the two roofs in together, then finish the face of the dormers in together with the matching tiles, making both roofs and dormer faces continuous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back