Adjustable 110mm bend... Experiences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of installing a 110mm adjustable bend in a main sewer run from your house?

(one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-adjustable-bend-0-90-110mm/14451)

I have a very awkward angle to make - the prev occupants have left me with a setup that occasionally blocks - I'm thinking one of these and a 90 deg could get me out of it. But if the (presumably?) ball joints leave edges, I worry that I'm replacing one pinch point with another.

Has anyone had experience of using these in sewage lines - how have they performed?

Sponsored Links
Not used one in a main run but have used a couple to get a line to mate with a branch on an inspection chamber. They are at the IC so any blockages would be easily accessed but had zero problems over the 5 years they've been in.
That said they are at very shallow angles (8 degrees or so).
Your 90 will be a more likely problem, you might be better using a long swept bend

Cheers. Yeah I need 80 degrees in the horizontal and maybe a 12cm drop in the vertical. In about 50*50 cms of space. Right at the bottom of the stack. They currently have an inspection chamber, but because of the low fall running away, and the 'spattering', things get stuck.

I could force a 45 and a 15 deg bend together and force the extra ~5 deg, but never a fan of forcing these things as they have a tendency to snap back to their designed angle - or leave gaps which may snag blockages.

I did wonder if a long swept bend, but cut short at ~80 degrees. I don't expect the middle of the curve of the long-sweep bend to be exactly the right diameter for the push-fit.

I can't really think of any more options. Unless I have a smooth 90, then an adjustable taking it back by 10 deg? hhmmm..

brilliant bit of kit. just remember to lock it off before covering up
there’s no edges, not of any significance anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking one of these and a 90 deg could get me out of it.
You're missing the point. You should not be creating sharp bends in drainage as they are potential blockage points. You may need an access point too if you do.

The cut down swept bend might not be a bad plan-doubt you'd get a pushfit connector on because of the bend, you could use one of these for the dodgy joint https://www.toolstation.com/flexible-connector/p25396.
Not sure it would be a good idea to remove the inspection chamber unless there's another access point nearby you could use to rod your new bend if it blocks.
I'm assuming here that your current setup has the rest bend at the bottom of the stack feeding into the side of the IC? Is it a plastic IC or concrete and clay?

These are the more traditional adjustable bends. You can cut them at the required angle then solvent weld the collar on.

images

Not sure I like the idea of something held in place with a metal strip - it's going to be under ground - galvanised or not,it will rust eventually.

The current angle is made with a plastic IC. There is very little (no) drop out of the IC, so things just tend to sit there, and block. I'm hoping that a 45 and a ~40 in tandem, and maybe a 15 to level off vertically will give the pipe, and therefore, turd-torpedos some momentum to get the next IC where the slope picks up.

I'm going to move and renew the existing IC, where the water currently falls in at an angle, to be a few metres downstream, and a few inches higher, to create slope in front and behind.

Perhaps a 45 deg, 6" of pipe, then the adjustable joint, then about 1m pipe (with some slope), into a new IC (with the main line going straight through) then into the existing pipe - raised so it has *some* slope.

The very rapidly knocked up 3-d drawings give an idea of what I mean:

Existing setup: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/existing-drainage-a2a855b1a9304d6f90d47d2173fb56f1

Proposed setup: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/after-aca943b2846e42a7a64a182f1df8b4cb

These are the more traditional adjustable bends. You can cut them at the required angle then solvent weld the collar on.

images
I do have a couple of those spare actually... Might give it a try before installing. Nothing to lose! I have read that solvent isn't that good for underground though? No idea why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back