adjustable ramp

Exactly, I've done it hundreds of times. Jack up one side with the trolley jack, put axle stand under. Car is well lopsided until I do the same with the other side. Sometimes if only doing one side, it's lopsided for the duration of the job.

Sponsored Links
trazor said:
I do not see any problem with jacking one side of the car only, this is what you do when you use a normal jack to change a wheel......

i see you dont see a problem.

but if you use this how are you going to change a wheel?
you cant because the car is resting on the wheel you just drove on the ramp

you use car ramps to work under the car, so one will be of no use, you need 2.

"but if you use this how are you going to change a wheel?"

You wouldn't use it to change a wheel. you'd use a jack.

If the intention is to operate the device/s independently, ie, a screw type scissor jack, can you not do away with the run on ramp and it's base? With the "scissor" structure height, at a minimum, and designed to retract into the base component, most vehicle wheels will be able to mount the unit in it's closed position. This will save weight and manufacturing costs. Thanks for sharing your ideas for a thought provoking design.

Sponsored Links
Stivino said:
"but if you use this how are you going to change a wheel?"

You wouldn't use it to change a wheel. you'd use a jack.

I know that, i also said

breezer said:
but if you use this how are you going to change a wheel?
you cant because the car is resting on the wheel you just drove on the ramp

you use car ramps to work under the car, so one will be of no use, you need 2.

Stivino, it was not me who said

trazor said:
I do not see any problem with jacking one side of the car only, this is what you do when you use a normal jack to change a wheel......

Please dont critisise on who said what, its about the invention you should be giviing your opinion on

my whole point is this "invention" fundementaly flawed, which is what isaid in the first place

breezer said:

Stivino, it was not me who said

trazor said:

I was just making the point that it is perfectly OK to ramp one side of a car up, obviously not using this device to change a wheel...... :rolleyes:

Access for the majority of jobs underneath a car, would be provided for by one ramp, if you need to work on your wheels you would then use axle stands.

Breezer said, Please dont critisise on who said what, its about the invention you should be giviing your opinion on.

At no did I critisise, I only gave my thoughts, none of which were critical. And, having read back through the replies, I see that I didn't get the proper meaning of one.
I think it's a good idea, but it's not for me. If they were hydraulic though, they could easily both be jacked up simultaneously.

I've seen this idea before years ago, the idea seems good especially for low spoilers, but as others have said you'd need two and unless the were connected would be slow to use in practice, maybe you could use an air cylinder or air bag and small electric pump. I would think that for safe working they would also need a strong locking device. Personally i think a side lift device would be more practical on modern cars, used under the sills/floor to enable wheel free servicing

I am no expert but this seems to be an excellent idea, given that I imagine most diy mechanics biggest fear is of being trapped under a car that has slipped off a jack. Yes, I have heard of & used axle stands, but they are not always convenient to use, especially on modern cars. Looking at the design I would not have thought it would be exhorbitantly more expensive than normal ramps & apart from additional strengthening of the sloping plate think you would be onto a winner with your design.

The adjustable height service ramps were available back in the 60 - 70's.
We went for the trolley jack and axel stands when the price became reasonable for a non pro' user.

This is innovative.. Display rather than service, but the idea is there !
display%20ramps%20hoizontal.jpg

:cool:

Many thanks for all the comments so far folks, much appreciated.

Regarding the ramp picture, its very much at the early stages.
Its based on the type of ramp I like to own myself.

The idea, being part of a university innovation course I'm doing,
will of course take much more development and more time than I
have so will only get so far with it.

One of the case studies on the course is for a famous vacuum cleaner,
which took well over thousand attempts to get right apparently.

Thanks again for the comments, more are welcome of course!

cheers

DIY Spanner

DIYspanner said:
One of the case studies on the course is for a famous vacuum cleaner,
which took well over thousand attempts to get right apparently.

Haha and I know plenty of people who think they're a load of ****! :D

On Fleabay...Here but bidding ended
...Pair of strong well made height adjustable car ramps, shown in photos at min height & at max height. These are brand new. New steel, bearings, nuts & bolts etc.

A bit similar in design to the Kwiklift Mk2 models sold in the 80's, but fabricated with 50% thicker steel for the main frame & lifting assembly - making them stronger and more stable.
Far superior to the old wobbly Mk1 models, (more often seen on ebay), which were basically a scissor jack bolted on to the end of a standard car ramp.
These have a jacking system built into them, lifting the entire ramp from a minimum height of about 21cm (8") to a maximum of 40cm (15½") approx . Adjustment is by a 24mm bolt which you can turn with a spanner or a 24mm socket. You can raise & lower them in seconds with a decent reversible power drill or air wrench.
At their maximum they are around twice the height of ordinary ramps, making it far easier to work underneath a vehicle. Ideal for garages, car restorers & serious DIY'ers. Maximum tyre width is 215mm...

5232_1.JPG
536b_1.JPG
53e2_1.JPG

Combine those with some ratchet type axel stands ...

:idea: Perhaps. ..
520_compact_webb_small.jpg
:?:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi,

Just want to say that it will be a brilliant device.

I too own a very low car, and to jack my car up I need to drive on two blocks of timber (like a "step") before I can slot my low trolley jack underneath the car.

And because of the hassles I now seldom do any work the requires me to get underneath.

So if you can get it into production and if it passes all the safety tests, at a price point of less than £100 a pair, I am sure A LOT of us will be super interested.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back