Max length / width of internal ramps??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the maximum length and gradient of an internal ramp in a private dwelling? Also what is the minimum width of a ramp?

I have just bought a plot of land to build a house and would like the house to be on 2 levels. I am wheelchair dependant so require ramps or lift, I would prefer ramps.

Sponsored Links
I believe there are no standards for internal ramps for a new dwelling being built by the future occupier. Therefore the gradients, lengths, landings & widths comes down to whats practical for you. I doubt you'd want to go any steeper than 1:10 though. We have a client who is a paraplegic C5 and he was ok with 1:10 as long as it wasn't too long but of course everyones different and you know what will work best for you. Would you really prefer a ramp to a lift though? Depends on the level difference I guess. The only wheel chair requirements laid out in the regs for new dwellings is with regards to a level access into the dwelling and access into the downstairs loo. Have a look here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf page 22 for the actual ramp regs. As mentioned the ramps illustrated in this document are the ramp regs for commercial/public buildings or external public access ramps but it gives you some food for thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back