Crazy accessibility and ramp requirements

Pretty sure self-builds are held to the same standard.
I don't think many of the so called self-build houses are actually built by the 'self-builders' themselves :!:;) We know the buildings covered by building regulations, the point is people involved in building don't query or dispute every aspect of the building regulations they come across , they have to get on with it (y)
Anyway, more importantly, what are you going to do now regarding the disabled access issues after your meeting with the BCO:?:

Sponsored Links
From talking with our SBEM guy, I'm not sure it is as smooth sailing as you suggest when done by the pros ;)

If we hadn't queried and disputed, we'd be building a 1:20 ramp 20 feet long.
As it stands, the BCO said they are happy with 1:12 "if that doesn't cause you problems". We wanted a ramp for buggy access anyway so a 12-foot long thing is much closer to what we'd put in our plans and will not be an eyesore. He basically said as long as it's not clearly taking the pee, they are happy. Which seems to come down to a guy coming out and saying "that looks a bit steep to me".

From talking with our SBEM guy, I'm not sure it is as smooth sailing as you suggest when done by the pros ;)
There you go again, did I say everything was plain sailing :?:
If we hadn't queried and disputed, we'd be building a 1:20 ramp 20 feet long.
No, I didn't say things can't be discussed with building control.
As a matter of interest did you mention my earlier suggestion of the possibility of an amorphous shaped approach :?:

They made out it was such a non issue, I didn't. What does this mean, can you give an example because it's not mentioned in my book that I am aware of.

Here's a photo of our site by the way.
Entrance is the door on the left with the bar across, you can hopefully see the access route despite the mud.
IMG_20191124_152623.jpg

Sponsored Links
This sort of thing but with level area landing outside door and sloping away more gradually with maximum 1 in 12 gradient.

Attachments

• BNAP16 (1).jpg
    BNAP16 (1).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back