building to the boundary/moving the boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have PP to do a two storey side extension on our house. It will leave a 1m gap between the extension and the extension to give access to the garden (and because the general rule is you want to stay at least a meter inside the boundary for a two-storey extension). On the other side of teh boundary is a private lane, providing access to two bungalows behind our garden. The lane is long - those bungalows are a good 40-50m behind our house. The lane is bordered by a hedge on both sides. towards teh front of the lane (and adjacent to where we want to do our extension) the hedge is made up of all sorts - mostly thin, unattractive plants. from there on it is a large laurel hedge (4-5m tall) which the owner of the lane is very attached to (and for good reason - it looks smart). It currently looks like this:

Slide1.jpg

Existing planning permission will give us this:

Slide2.jpg

Anyway- the side extension will leave us with a bedroom that is just over 3m wide. I want it to be wider than that which means extending to the boundary at the second storey level.

I've got 2 ways to do this:

1) overhang the second storey by a meter i.e. build it to the boundary but leave the ground floor a meter inside (I want to retain access to the back garden, and the path on the other side of the property is too narrow at about 500mm).

Slide3.jpg

2) buy a small parcel of land from the owner of the lane, 1m wide and about 10m long, alongside the side extension. Like this:

Slide4.jpg

Option 2 is my preference as it will allow us to build a "normal" extension, just a meter wider than the original plan so we get a larger downstairs too.

If I assume that the lane owner would be willing to sell etc etc, am I right in thinking that Option 2 would give me far less PP issues than OPtion 1 would? Under option 1 I am building to the boundary at second storey level which is generally something that would, I understand, be rejected but as we have the lane between us and the next property I don't think it would create a terracing effect. And if I am right, are there any other issues I need to consider eg change in use of the land I am buying?

Before I go and speak to the lane owner and offer to buy that parcel of land I want to make sure that it will make my life easier from a planning perspective! It just seems a bit odd that I could build exactly the same building under options 1 and 2, but the fact that I own a bit of land next to it could be the difference between getting PP or not.

Any thoughts welcome. THanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would talk to planning and see if w.hat you want to do is doable.

Not building to the boundary is policy intended to prevent terracing. If there are no adjacent buildings, then the policy would not apply. Check your council's policy wording.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back