Crazy accessibility and ramp requirements

There are such things as off-road wheel chairs. Also some people with mobility issues may not need a chair all the time but a ramp would be enough to help them get into the building without someone having to carry them.

Powered wheelchairs are available from a very young age, under two in theory a(I suspect they're rare as hens teeth). Which is great because they stop people being stuck indoors without the ability to go outside and experience nature.

Bluntly this is exactly the sort of thing that the rules are there for.

Sponsored Links
Manually deployed ramp especially built to fit over the steps when needed could be an idea.
They use them on trains.
I understand the step is much higher so a longer ramp would be needed, but perhaps an idea to explore.
Then you can leave the ramp to gather dust for the next 50 years.
Disable people are more intelligent than we think, so a paraplegic will not sign up to rock climbing course, unless specifically designed for them.

Oh dear. Do some people really think physically disabled people are less intelligent :!:
Unfortunately yes.
Ask anyone in wheelchair, if they ask a question to someone most times the answer is directed at the person pushing the wheelchair.

Sponsored Links
Well we're inviting them but we would suggest if they are disabled, they would be better provided for at a more traditional provider.

It won't take long for people to twig that they are an unwelcome nuisance to you.

It won't take long for people to twig that they are an unwelcome nuisance to you.
I don't think the op wants to deliberately exclude disabled people from their business, but as the activities would not be suitable for mobility impaired, then they think that all the investment in accessibility would be wasted.
Got to sympathise with the op, as i said, disabled people and their carers are aware of their limits and don't ask the impossible.
i.e. a blind person will never wish to become a taxi driver.

You seem to need to go on a course or two to get some understanding of discrimation as you will be running a business that has the potential to disciminate.

Preventing someone from accessing your service - a service that you could provide them if they could actually get into the building is discrimination.

What you are doing is the same "No blacks, No Irish, No dogs" scenario, only you are not hanging a signon the gate but just putting in a barrier to the same effect to stop certain people getting in.
ah, you're the sort that wants everyone to go on courses.
No we are not wishing to prevent anyone accessing our services, we are saying our services may not be suitable.
If we were running a hurdles training camp, making the place wheelchair accessible wouldn't make much sense.

There are such things as off-road wheel chairs. Also some people with mobility issues may not need a chair all the time but a ramp would be enough to help them get into the building without someone having to carry them.

Powered wheelchairs are available from a very young age, under two in theory a(I suspect they're rare as hens teeth). Which is great because they stop people being stuck indoors without the ability to go outside and experience nature.

Bluntly this is exactly the sort of thing that the rules are there for.
if they have powered or off road wheelchairs, they don't need ramps at a maximum 1:20 gradient. They'd be a great fit for us. The point is that accessibility guidelines saying we have to make access to our BUILDING wheelchair friendly but not our outside spaces, where people will spend all their time, are a little silly. Like make a climbing wall accessible for people with no arms.
Bluntly, I don't think you've read part M.

Manually deployed ramp especially built to fit over the steps when needed could be an idea.
They use them on trains.
I understand the step is much higher so a longer ramp would be needed, but perhaps an idea to explore.
Then you can leave the ramp to gather dust for the next 50 years.
Disable people are more intelligent than we think, so a paraplegic will not sign up to rock climbing course, unless specifically designed for them.
the regs say, I think, you can't make accessibility optional or special. You can't designate a special "disabled entrance" because this is segregation. Like a previous comment says this is like a "blacks" entrance, legally.

As you say in reality a severely disabled person would realise this isn't the best fit for them. It's just common sense. But that makes it all the worse to fit disabled facilities knowing nobody will use them.

less of the virtue signalling, please. They are not unwelcome but we will likely not be the best facility for them. Equally we are not the best choice for parents who want to wrap their kids in cotton wool and protect them from getting dirty. That's fine. There are other facilities in our catchment area, we are offering a niche provision for those who don't want to use mainstream nursery provision.

Anyone who is able enough to use our outside facilities, we want to make sure they can attend. But that means being able to traverse uneven terrain. What we object to is making access to our building easier, just for regs, than access to our outside spaces.
If you ran a gokart business, do you want to equip all your karts for people without arms and legs?

I don't think the op wants to deliberately exclude disabled people from their business, but as the activities would not be suitable for mobility impaired, then they think that all the investment in accessibility would be wasted.
Got to sympathise with the op, as i said, disabled people and their carers are aware of their limits and don't ask the impossible.
i.e. a blind person will never wish to become a taxi driver.
Thanks, you've expressed that more sensitively than I've been able to. This sums up our position. Anyone who can reasonably use our facility, we would make all reasonable efforts to accommodate.
It's making unreasonable measures to accommodate people who would NOT want to come here that is the issue.

ANYWAY we asked our local BC guy out to discuss our concerns and they were really helpful. They are definitely more lax than a strict reading of the regs and employ more common sense which makes me wonder if the BR are really there as a safety net for those who clearly make no effort. E.g if you make a clear, conscious effort to be accessible sympathetic to your environment (which we are) they are not going to send a guy out with a protractor to measure your ramp. But, if you do bugger all and refuse to change it, they can use the regs as a 'backstop'.

Or maybe our BC is just too lenient. For all our fears, we've found them very helpful. Their goal is to help us succeed, not find reasons to fail us.

The building regulations are there for people like architects, engineers, builders and other associated building professionals engaged in constructing buildings to a reasonably good standard - not philosophers :!:

Pretty sure self-builds are held to the same standard. The UK has a long history of self-building one's own house/building. I mean we aren't actually doing it ourselves so self-build is a bit of a stretch ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back