ADT Galaxy 16 Plus overcharging backup battery

SMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Whilst having a new consumer unit fitted, I noticed the alarm went off, normally the back up 12v battery keeps it monitoring, but on inspection, I noticed the battery had swelled in the middle, & was dead. Checking the output voltage from the alarm, I read 15.8 volts. As an ex mechanic I know 14.4 is about right, & the swollen batt is probably due to overcharging. I cant find any info on this circuit board or its mains transformer, any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the charging system in your alarm panel.
But, I can say that multistage chargers for sealed lead acid batteries can often be quite sophisticated.

A no-load voltage of 15.8V may be fine, if the charger is in a constant current charging mode, and has reached its upper voltage limit.

Hopefully someone who knows the system will be able to give you a definitive answer.
All I can say, is the charger may be working as intended! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
Check output from battery leads ( with battery disconnected ) , if it is 15.8 v then it’s time to replace the alarm panel ….it should be 13.8 v dc or near abouts…
Not sure if the old galaxy panels have a voltage adjust pot ?

E6DE2764-1EC5-4948-A227-4A24FE256B22.jpeg

Sponsored Links
s-l1600.jpg
Sparkymarka, Thanks for that, my mainboard is different & only as the volume adjust.

Last edited:
Time for a new alarm …..if you are wanting to stick with the galaxy I would ask galaxy guy what’s the best option on the galaxy range these days ….or if your thinking of something else come back on here …

• Thanks
Could anyone advise if there is a later, or better model motherboard I can use, really don't want to start changing the rest of the components.

Might have a galaxy 16+ pcb kicking around at work ….as before galaxy may be able to guide you as what your options are …

• Thanks
Sparky, any help would be appreciated, I also have a second board, which supplies the correct charging voltage of 13.8v, but connecting it it just shows 16 stars on the keypad I there a way of resetting this other board?

I would drop galaxy guy a message as I’ve not fitted galaxy since the 16+/60/ 500 days early 2000s

• Thanks
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back