ADT series 3200plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello need to ask question as alarm got set off this morning at 08.00 (Sunday) after a night shift, rude awakening when half asleep I can tell you! the keypad isn't as responsive, doesn't matter how hard you press to just wouldn't turn off. It like the rubber cover has slipped or something on the buttons(you know like a sky remote and the buttons won"t work ). Any suggestions would be most helpful just don"t want to bother alarm chap on a Sunday if I can do something . Alarm speak not understood! English preferable. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a good trick for stipping down the keypad and cleaning it but I'm not sure if it's good for someone who isn't fluent in alarm speak to try on a Sunday evening! ;)

Have you got it to stop? Does the alarm have a maintenance contract? What is/was showing on the display?

I guess that this system is pretty old - is it the one whose keypad has/had a flap down front or is the keypad the newer type with the flap on the left hand side? I think that the ADT 3200 is a re-branded Scantronic 9800 or 9800+ which is also obsolete now.

I assume that you've checked to make sure that one of the buttons isn't stuck in...

Many thanks for reply, yes I did eventually get it to stop after putting code in about 4 times, some of the buttons seem really sensitive (ones that are not in my code) it's my code numbers which yes feel like they not in contact with the rubber covering. I would like to add the reason that I got this alarm was because the guy's mate was impressed cause I was taking the transponder out in an attempt to mend!!! We all have specialities so if you ever want to know how to deliver a baby and stitch a women's perineum afterwards I'm your women!

Sorry didn't answer your question, no flap on keypad at all ADT alarm was put in existing equipment not by ADT !!! Usually I tell my alarm chap the problem he tells me what I must do to remedy the problem and I do it!

Sponsored Links
Glad you got it stopped. May I suggest that you change your code to use four buttons that you haven't been using? This would give the keypad a bit more life. Whilst new replacement keypads are availabe from Scantronic (to The Trade) they are really expensive and may take a while to get.

To change your code, put your code in (4 digits, no letter) and the display will show '__'. Now press 4 and the display will show 'oc' (old code). Put your old code in again and it will display 'nc' (new code). Finally, put your new code in and press clear - you may need to do this twice, depending on the version.

If you want to have a go at cleaning the keypad, let me know whether it is one of these...

http://ukpanels.com/images/Modern 3200 scan9800.jpg

Or one of these?

http://sportimport.co.uk/ebay/alarm0.jpg

And I'll leave the midwifery to you... :eek:

Many thanks it"s the 2nd white box most helpful will try the new code in the day time otherwise may wake the neighbours kids then I'll be in trouble! I"m up for giving the keypad a clean so instructions would be most helpful. Kind regards

Okay, here we go...

Arm yourself with a small electrical screwdriver, a small philips screwdriver, some tape (insulating or masking), a rubber (pencil eraser) and a piece of rough card like the inside of a cereal packet.

Change the code before you start 'cos it's going to go off and you'll need to stop it (unless you have the engineers code, of course...). Have a look under the keypad - if there is a screw, remove it (latest model only). Gently push the screwdriver into the little slot which is about 20mm in from each side whilst pulling the front of the keypad off the back. Do one side at a time and you should be able to get the bottom away from the back with the front hinging along the top edge. As you do this, you will generate a 'keypad tamper' and the alarm will go off in the keypad and the internal speaker (but not outside). Holding the keypad bottom away from the back, put your code in to shut it up. Don't pull it too far out or you'll snap the little lugs off. Now shove the keypad straight up and you'll have it in your hand with a cable coming off the bottom corner.

Remove the SIG wire and fold a piece of tape over the bare end. Make a note somewhere that this was the SIG wire. Repeat the process with the +12V and 0V wires. Now you want to disassemble the keypad - undo the three tiny philips screws that hold the PCB in place and then remove it from the case. The keys will probably have stuck to the board, so peel them off.

Here comes the magic bit - use the rubber to rub over the black 'finger' tracks that the keys press on. Clean the rubber on the cardboard and go over the tracks until you can't see the old key circles - a couple or three goes should be fine. Now put the keys down on the cardboard, push a key down and wipe it across the card to leave two black streaks. Do this once for rarely used keys and three times for the ones of your code and the A and tick. Give everything a blow to clear the dust a rubber shavings.

Pop the keys back into the front and refit the circuit board. Note the little 'hooks' on the bottom edge - you need to tuck the board under these. Put the screws back in, remembering that there's a red washer on the one on the square hole. Take the keypad back to its place and reconnect the wires, one at a time. Be careful not to touch them on anything but the right terminal.

Finally, clip the top of the keypad front onto the back (you may need to give it a gentle thump) and then swing it down and snap it shut. Refit the screw if necessary. Press the tick button - the display will probably show 'rt' (remote keypad tamper). Enter your code and tick to reset.

That should be it! I've done this from memory with two screaming kids full of sugar (back from a party...) refusing to go to bed. So I hope I didn't miss a step. :rolleyes: I should have done a video...

If you've got the engineers code, you can power down the keypad properly to avoid the russian roulette with the wires! ;)

Wow very in depth instructions will give it a go later this week and will let you know how I get on many thanks for your time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back