ex ADT Galaxy 16+ Alarm - how do I reset it please - alarm novice!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Looking for some help. We have an old alarm above, does what's required when we are away, I have the user, master and engineer codes to use when needed.

We had a decorator in today and he pulled the wire out one of the PIRs by mistake, and it must have registered some kind of tamper as the internal bell went off and kept going.

Not sure if he tried the keypad to disarm it but eventually I got a phone call to say come and switch it off. Came home and the keypad wouldn't take an unset so had to take the power off to stop it.

So.... the PIR has been rewired, it works and all the fuses still work having swapped them around to check.

As soon as both or either the mains or battery are re-connected the alarm goes off with the remaining big problem that the Keypad is still BLANK so I can't stop it.

Keypad has power as it is backlit and beeps when you press buttons but no amount of fiddling with codes/escape/enter seems to put any words up. The LED in the bottom left hand side of the keypad is flashing really quickly suggesting some kind of power.

Ignoring the alarm if you go round the house, all the PIRS work so can't see anything else up with it.

Can I do an engineer reset or is it really broken this time? Been looking at user and engineer manuals online but no clues on how to get the keypad to speak to me.

Alarm was installed over 12 years ago by previous owners and they must have come out of the contract and gave us all the codes which have worked well before now. Over the years we've disabled a few of the sensors, replaced the battery and added new user codes with no problems.

Thanks in advance for any wise words (other than smash it up!!!)

L

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe no data going to the keypad from panel. You need votage & data to get the keypad functioning correctly. Could be a cut cable or loose connection. Powering down & up should reboot it if this dont work then it could be that panel is buggered.

If the cabling to the keypad hasn't been touched, then power everything down, disconnect the battery (to take it out of the equation) and power up. If the keypad doesn't come on-line, then it's likely that the panel has gone faulty. You can check that voltages are actually at 12V, but I think it may have gone faulty. A new G2-12 (if you're only using 12 zones) will cost you about £35 from ebay and be fully compatible with your current EOL wiring. It will just be a matter of swapping over and then some very light programming of your zones.

There's always the possibility that it could be the keypad, but probably more likely the panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back