Advice about levelling garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently started a project on my garden which is also a drive way which backs onto a service road at the back that you have to drive down to get to your garden.

You will see in the picture i've uplifted all the old decorative stones as the previous owner decided it was a good idea to lay down soil then go over it with tarp and then put the stones on top which caused roots and mud to come through which made it muddy and to add to this cover some lovely paving stones (are marked in red) which i've exposed since but if you look under the gate its now created a step (marked in yellow) when coming into the garden, i need advice on how i could level this up as it appears this is probably why they used the stones and soil in the first place to level it up. I was thinking once i've removed all the rubble to lay down tarp over the soil part and just go over one paving block at the front with decorative stone to level it up.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you want to drive or park cars on this or just a garden space?

Will be used to park a car but would like it to look nice also, not bothered about grass etc just need advice on how to resolve that step part.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just raise it up with compacted sub base. Mot type 1 would do well and compact it with a vibrating plate. Then finish the surface with 50mm of gravel.

Obviously if there I soft mud under the driveway area you need to dig it out. Aim for 150mm of hardcore for the car area and then you can use just a membrane and gravel over the rest if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back