Advice before digging up garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning to pull up the paving stones in our garden and lay a (temporary-ish) decking down

The property is mid-terrace, so access is only through the house.

We have a side infill and a raised square section at the back. I was also considering putting decking down in the infill.

The total outside area is 26.4 square meters.

There is a block of concrete in the corner (assume an on old coal shed once stood there - in one of the pics) that we will probably get some one in to break up and remove.

My estimation of the process would be:

1. Pull up cobble stones on the back section
2. have the concrete block in the corner removed
3. Dig down the soil level - would we need to put in some kind of hardcore?
4. lay decking

For the decking we would lay down some garden sheeting to prevent weeds, and cover with some of the gravel from the infill, then lay the decking on top of some flag stones. The plan is that the deck will cover the entire area.

Basically I wanted to know if there are any issues I should be aware of that could be a problem. I.E.

Are there likely to be pipes underneath that we might run into if digging down the ground level?
Will we need to build in any drainage?
Are there any risks/considerations when digging near the house walls, or boundary fences - Particularly when removing that concrete block?

Another issue is that the ground level of the infill is at the same as internal floor level. The back section is about another foot higher again. I understand that external ground should ideally be 150mm below the internal floor. Would it be worth trying to dig down to that level?

Does all of the above sound reasonable?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 77
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back