Advice For Connecting To Copper Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of refitting our kitchen and am at the stage where I need to sort out the plumbing connections.

I have a copper waste pipe of 40.8mm OD coming out of the wall at just above floor level sloping upwards as shown in the photo....
CopperWaste.jpg

....and would like some advice on the best options for connecting the plastic waste pipes to it.

I will need a 90deg bend sideways followed by another 90deg bend vertically to get the vertical pipe parallel with the wall. The options I can see are either 40mm pushfit fittings or compression fittings, both of which do seem to be a good fit. Once the sink cupboard is in place I will be a bit pushed for space, so a compression fitting will be more awkward due to it's bulkiness but is still doable. A pushfit fitting will probably be easier to work with in the confined space and I may even be able to avoid having to cut out the floor of the cupboard.

So really I just wanted some advice to help me make an informed decision.

Many thanks
Russell

Sponsored Links
Try a 1 1/2 Plastic (compression) waste fitting 45 degree elbow would get u a pipe running upwards then just use 1 1/2 0r 1 1/4 plastic
justread full post

u have to use compression to connect to the copper, after that u can use what u want,
If its going to be hard to get to i preffer solvent weld-no problems with rubber seals

Cant you rip it out, weigh it in, and do it in plastic, it'll pay for you pipe, fittings and maybe a couple of pints ;)

Sponsored Links
Cant you rip it out, weigh it in, and do it in plastic, it'll pay for you pipe, fittings and maybe a couple of pints ;)
Although this would be the best solution it is definately not an option at this stage. On the other side of the kitchen wall the copper waste pipe is under the conservatory floor which is tiled.

Try a 1 1/2 Plastic (compression) waste fitting 45 degree elbow would get u a pipe running upwards then just use 1 1/2 0r 1 1/4 plastic
justread full post

u have to use compression to connect to the copper, after that u can use what u want,
If its going to be hard to get to i preffer solvent weld-no problems with rubber seals
Unfortunately a 45deg bend upwards would have the vertical pipe sloping away from the wall as the copper pipe is coming out at less than 45deg.

I like the idea of using a 90deg compression followed by solvent weld fittings though. At least then there is only two rubber seals to worry about on the first 90deg bend on the copper pipe.

Or a Fernco coupling.

Andy
Now that's another option I hadn't thought of and is worth bearing in mind.

Thanks for the advice.

RussellS";p="1763236 said:
Although this would be the best solution it is definately not an option at this stage. On the other side of the kitchen wall the copper waste pipe is under the conservatory floor which is tiled.

:eek: I hope its protected , never a good place for pipes

OLLIE20";p="1763316 said:

:eek: I hope its protected , never a good place for pipes

What do you mean by protected. If you mean the pipe under the conservatory floor, it is a suspended floor and the pipe goes straight into the drain just the other side of the kitchen wall where the conservatory is below the floor.

Oh sorry, dont see many conni's with suspended floors, i thought you meant it was in concrete, never mind that comment, doesnt count to you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back