Advice for replacing a coal fireplace tile surround.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a property with an old an unattractive fireplace that is badly in need of some tlc.

Fireplace in it's most complete appearance.

There's a lot of damaged tiles, the grout is loose or missing in some places, the base is loose from the surround and most of all I think it's really ugly.

With the loose base and tiles removed.

I've never done any kind of tiling before and although I have an idea of the basics I'd like some advice as to materials, tools and process for replacing the old tiles - bearing in mind I am very much on a budget so I can't afford a professional but I am handy with things and a quick learner.

All the loose and damaged tile parts stacked up.

I assume I'll need tiles (duh) - but are there specific kinds for fireplaces? Grout - again is there a special type? Spacers? Possibly concrete to repair the loose base and reattach it? Also how should I go about removing the old tiles safely?

Loose base pulled back.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back