Advice from my boiler repairman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had someone round to service my baxi solo 2PF boiler. At the end, he referred me to a noise I hadn't noticed before - a constant high-pitched whine, that now never stops while the boiler is on. He said the noise was caused by dirt inside the boiler - he said that the boiler would continue to work for a while but that I might like to consider having a new boiler. I asked him how much it would cost just to get the boiler cleaned and he suggested about £370 because he'd have to use chemicals etc. Does that sound like a fair price? Is there another possible reason for this constant high pitched sound?

Sponsored Links
Without hearing the noise its not possible for me to come to any conclusion.

If, as possible, its caused by some scaling it might well be cured by a DIY addition of a can of Sentinel X200 in the F&E tank. It can be left in the system!

it can also be caused by an excessive gas pressure but he SHOULD have checked and adjusted that during the service!

Very unfortunately, some in our industry like to overcharge and frighten customers into having something does which is not necessary or can be done using some other less costly means.

Some even INTENTIONALLY misadjust a boiler in order to cause it to malfunction to enable them to get more money out of them! Thats particularly the case of the call out companies!

Tony

Get a second opinion from another RGI, someone recommended by a family member or friend, X200 is a good suggestion if it's scale build up, but put it in a radiator rather than FE tank, more direct.

...He said the noise was caused by dirt inside the boiler - he said that the boiler would continue to work for a while but that I might like to consider having a new boiler.
Clearly a complete cowboy. Dirt/corrosion in a system is not solved by replacing the boiler. Never talk to him again; ask friends/neighbours/colleagues for recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all of you. I'll get someone else to do a service and ask them to check on the gas pressure and the rest. This is a great site for getting help and information. Thanks again!

Without hearing the noise its not possible for me to come to any conclusion.

If, as possible, its caused by some scaling it might well be cured by a DIY addition of a can of Sentinel X200 in the F&E tank. It can be left in the system!

it can also be caused by an excessive gas pressure but he SHOULD have checked and adjusted that during the service!

Very unfortunately, some in our industry like to overcharge and frighten customers into having something does which is not necessary or can be done using some other less costly means.

Some even INTENTIONALLY misadjust a boiler in order to cause it to malfunction to enable them to get more money out of them! Thats particularly the case of the call out companies!

Tony

You talk such crap, why would you want this customer to think he has been ripped off? thats the nature of the customers these days because of the small number of people who do rip other off & the likes of you who scare munger old folk into thinking they have been for a wee ride. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil:

I dont rip off anyone.

I dont like to see anyone ripped off.

I will even go free of charge to give a second opinion in my local area if I think someone has been ripped off.

There are two kinds of ripping off, blatent fraud and replacing expensive parts which are not needed as a result of incompetence in diagnosis.

I have only remembered one case of the former in the last three years. But many of incorrect diagnosis and charging the customer for parts which were not needed.

One of the most amusing was this fellow who got the customer to buy FIVE parts costing over £400 and then charged him £80 to fit four of them. At that point the boiler was still not working and they sent him off!

I went and found the fifth part costing under £20 would have fixed the original fault but by then while fitting some of the parts he had upset the boiler settings..

Tony

Well the way I see it , perhaps labelling somone as a cowboy or a rip off merchant on what someone posts is IMHO , not good ????????

Well the way I see it , perhaps labelling somone as a cowboy or a rip off merchant on what someone posts is IMHO , not good ????????

Yes I do agree, and as rightly said non of us have seen the boiler, but I still stand by my recommendation to get someone recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back