Advice: how to build shelf for wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some a built in wardrobe but unfortunately there is no shelf (e.g. to put folded clothing on).

However someone fixed some timber battens to the walls, so I assume that there was a shelf at one point

And i would like advice on how to build the shelf to go on the battens

Does one use ply, mdf or individual pieces of wood (similar to the pic)

Also what would be the best/simplest way of fixing the material to the battens?

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_165623698.png
    IMG_20200114_165623698.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
You could use individual battens, as in the picture, and space them evenly. These could be secured by a countersunk screw at each end.
Plywood is better than mdf for supports as it is structurally stronger. Measure front to back on both sides to ensure they are the same and measure side to side at the back, middle and front as there may be a slight variation along the side walls. Transfer these measurements to your plywood but subtract 3 mm and cut with a sharp panel saw. I usually score the lines with a sharp knife to help prevent splintering. The reason for subtracting 3mm is to allow for run out of the wall and expansion of the wood. You could cut it exactly to the measurements for a tight fit if you prefer. Again, fix this at intervals to the battens with countersunk screws.

I find mdf gives a dusty finish unless you paint it. And to be honest, I've never got as good a finish, despite doing all the sealer/primer/undercoat/top coat business, as I can on ply or real wood.

Sponsored Links
I find mdf gives a dusty finish unless you paint it. And to be honest, I've never got as good a finish, despite doing all the sealer/primer/undercoat/top coat business, as I can on ply or real wood.
Dust? You wipe surface before treatment. If you don’t want to paint, danish oil gives an even clean hard to stain surface.

I meant it has a dusty finish if you leave it bare. Cleaning with white spirit, sealing, priming, undercoating and two coats of top finish, (I've tried gloss and silk sheen), and I have never got a satisfactory finish.

I meant it has a dusty finish if you leave it bare. Cleaning with white spirit, sealing, priming, undercoating and two coats of top finish, (I've tried gloss and silk sheen), and I have never got a satisfactory finish.
I just used emulsion with top coat of varnish , via short bristle roller, gives mirror finish .

Thanks for the comments guys. If i went with mdf will i have to allow for expansion 3mm as well?

You don't have to but it's good practice. Any gap due to run out can be filled with a thin bead of mastic or you can make it a snug fit as MDF doesn't shrink, but it may swell if it gets damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back