Fitted wardrobe, can I have a rail 2700mm long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm going to order some sliding wardrobe doors from spaceslide, and I like the freespace storage system that they do, basically just a rail the whole length of the wardrobe (which is wall to wall) and a long shelf above it. The thing is their system only comes up to 2500mm width and mine is 2700. I know I can get rails and mdf to make up my own, but will it be stable across this width? How can I add extra support?

Here is a pic, the depth of the shelf would be about 600mm
f42nuq.jpg

Sponsored Links
All rails require support. In fact most wardrobe clothes rails are under supported. Mine are supported about every 700mm. This is just about right, because the wife's side is burgeoning with clothes and there is visible bow even over this span.

Don't underestimate the weight of your clobber.

My answer to your previous post would be to maybe fit a rail in three 900mm sections thus supporting it twice along its length.

Thanks very much noseall. Would you suggest supporting the rail from 2 poles underneath, or supporting them from the shelf above? Also, will the shelf itself have enough support if I were to fix it as per the picture?

I have supported mine from the shelf above though this has distorted the (mdf) shelf.

This distortion or sag could have been countered if i had fitted say a 3" fascia along the front edge of the shelf, thus stiffening the shelf.

So, if you look at the image you will see the shelf resting on some 3" x 1" that is fixed to the three sides of the wall. My idea is to fix a fourth strip across the front edge also.

I would also advise fixing a short length of 3"x 1" across the underside of the shelf (flat) at the two points where you fix the rail brackets, just to give a better fixing and stiffening point where the rail will be anchored.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back