Advice: Is existing RSJ still suitable for job (LB Wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster, sorry if wrong area of forum but this was where I found similar posts (i.e.involving load bearing internal walls)

I've just bought a 1950's house and at some point in the 60's the [then] owner removed a load bearing wall between the lounge and dining room to create an open-plan living area. I've lifted a couple of floorboards in one of the rooms above and there is a steel beam in place. The floor joists do hang off the beam and the dividing wall between front and back bedroom is of brick construction - so it seem supports this too.

All seems fine, however, the beam itself does not appear to embed into the chimney breast. Instead it looks to rest on at least 1 brick coming out of the breast perpendicular to to the breast. Also I cant see any sign, when looking at the concrete floor beneath, where the beam sits of any reinforcing having been done.

As I said, the wall was removed over 40 years ago so no building regs to check it against, but then the house hasn't collapsed so might be okay.

Just looking for advice right now as the concrete floor downstairs is rather bumpy and if the beam needs replacing or floor needs digging for foundations/supports to go in I'd rather get that done before I get the flooring looked at and smoothed out.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back