advice need looking to install a cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am at the mo refurbishing my kitchen and would like to fit a cooker hood (which will be checked out by an electritian) after taking a look at the sockets where i was thinking of taken a fused spur from seems to be a small ring circuit correct me if i am wrong,as you can see from the first pic there are 2 supply cables coming into the socket 1 connects to that socket and the other goes straight to the fcu for the boiler to the far right and the 2 sockets and the fcu are joined together.
So what i was wondering is it right that i should be able to add to the fcu another fcu which will feed a socket above the cupboard to power the hood or will it be ok to take a spur off of one of the sockets.
Another option could be to loose one of the double sockets and replace with a fcu.
What are you thoughts cheers

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

plug4.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
You cannot spur off the FCU, that is alread a spur.
You cannot spur off the middle socket as that has the existing FCU spurred from it
You could provide a spur off the left hand socket for the fan.

BUT WAIT

Before you do this, you must notify your local authority, fill in their paperwork form and pay a fee.
All electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable. See the WIKI, ref Building Regulations Part P.

Taylor , try looking again at the wiring set up, All the outlets and the spur unit are on the RING, Their is no spurs off of any of them. The last spur unit has a load connected to it hence the three cables.

To feed your cooker hood you can spur off of any of the sockets or extend the ring main to a new spur unit then run your socket for the hood off of that

As mentioned before this is notifiable work and Blah Blah Council, Blah Notification, Blah pay money Blah Blah Blah :D :D

Nick

Sponsored Links
cool i was thinking of taking the spur from the left socket to an fcu below the cupboard and then fit a socket above the cupboard to connect the hood to or should i just connect straight to the fcu?

Personally it depends upon the type of hood being installed, if its a chimney style hood i prefer to just use a JB inside the chimney housing, or if its a normal under unit/wall mount type i install a socket in an adjacent cupboard or on the wall next to the extractor. The fusing down comes from the spur unit anyways so why have another fuse in a plug that you dont need.

Nick

it will be a recirculation chimley hood.
out of interested how much would i be looking at to get a sparky to install and cert the fcu and the hood?
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back