Advice needed for a pipe run

mmm I have one of those auto valves, red plastic cover slightly undone?

Otherwise I can't see another bleed point.

Anyway I must have biffed this up, I will start from scratch tomorrow.

So I have a fighting chance of getting right, how should i do it properly? :oops:

ie valves in what position, bleed what in what order?

Also is it ok to leave the immersion plugged in, yeah I know expensive, but safe?

Thanks for all your help Dave, I owe you a pint next time I am up in the bootiful county.

Sponsored Links
If possible drain all rads (open bleed points on rads to let them drain properly). Whilst empty also clean out f&e tank as best as possible.

Open manual levers on zone valves and lock into place. Check if your auto air bleed (red cap) is loose. If not it may be scaled and jammed closed if so replace with new one, very cheap, 15mm compression now available for easy fit, Let water fill system, bleed downstairs rads first, I personally always bleed the furthest away rad first. Whilst system filling add inhibitor to f&e tank. Bleed upstairs rads, bleed pump if necessary.

put zone valve levers back to auto, set boiler to 38C switch on just for heating, hopefully this will push air out of boiler and into vent pipe or upstairs rads. Turn on h/w by its self, let vent through auto air vent.

If 1 or 2 rads don't get hot then turn off h/w and all rads that do get hot to push air lock through to them. (do 1 at a time)

If you still have problems try wiring pump to permanent live so it can pump without boiler coming on to remove air locks.

Ok,

I followed the procedure and emptied and refilled my system - I even added inhibitor this time :LOL:

After bleeding all the rads I could still hear alot of air/gurgling in the pipes and the boiler still registered error 5 and wouldn't fire.

I wired the pump up to permanent live, which I must admit was at the limit of my comfort zone, ran round like a looney bleeding rads and eventually managed to get rid of all the noise. However the boiler still had the same fault.

After much head scratching i phoned the valliant "technical" helpdesk who told me to keep switching it on and off, and if that didn't work it must be the thermistors :evil: ! They then patched me through to their service dept who quoted me £250 plus vat to come out and fix it. I politely declined.

Eventually I phoned the local guys who installed the boiler two years ago. I also wanted a quote for some more plumbing and installing a gas fire. The guy said he would have a quick look at the boiler at the same time.

Anyway the engineer took the front of the boiler off, reset a small contact breaker inside, and bingo it fired up a treat!!

Now I am wondering whether Valliant didn't tell me about this because either they weren't allowed to because I am not corgied up, or because they didn't know ( or even because they wanted the callout??)

Anyway the engineer said i had done a splendid job of bleeding and filling the system, so thanks for all the replies.

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back