Advice needed for a pipe run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to rip out the old rads in my front room and hall.

The two rads are on the same pipe run that splits to feed both.

This picture shows the pipework coming down from the bedrooms to the hallway rad via the front door surround.

The next picture shows the pipe work splitting, through the wall into the front room.

What I want to achieve is moving a lot of the pipes away from the hall where they are on view and into the front room where furniture and boxing can hide them.

What I was thinking of doing is putting the pipe work through the wall above the front door, and then feeding it down the corner of the front room, where I can box it in.

I can then "split" the pipes and feed the hallway rad from pipework coming from the frontroom. I hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

What concerns me is that I mess up the flow to the rads by putting in a couple of right hand bends to get the pipes through the wall and down again.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
A pumped 2 pipe system will not be affected so much as to worry about flow with a few elbows.
You could always bend some nice sweeping bends if you like.
Make sure you flush the system afterwards and add an inhibitor
Pete

Thanks

I have now ripped out the rads, but it is going to take me a couple of days to install the new pipe work etc.

Can I run the boiler, for hot water, with the heating side turned off?

I haven't tried turning it back on yet!!!!!

You can run it IF the system is pressurised.

You cannot if you have depressurised it!

You could have run it if you had turned off the boiler isolating valves before you drained the rads!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I wish I had asked that question first :cry:

Actually there are a few questions I should have asked! I also found out that the rad in the dining room is in it's own "island" and wasn't drained at all - Oh how I laughed when I hacksawed into that one :evil:

Anyway I must have a pressurised system because the boiler now comes up with an error and wont fire..........(Valliant Eco max pro - error code 5)

What's the best thing to do now?? I can put the immersion on for hot water or is it ok to seal the ends of the pipes (2 in the hall and 2 in the dining room) and fill the system?? I read in another thread about a drain valve that sits on the end of a vertical pipe in the airing cupboard ???

Any and all help is appreciated as i need some hot water on before the missus gets back from work!

Thanks

lee

As this is an Ecomax pro do not try and use it for the hot water only. This is an open vent boiler, although it can be converted to pressurised but unlikely, therefore when you drained the heating system you drained the indirect circuit in the h/w cylinder and probably the boiler :eek:

The F5 code is boiler going to overheat :eek: :eek:

Switch off and wait until you finish the rad move and fill up properly :rolleyes:

Have you got an immersion heater in your cylinder?

Hi Dave

Yes I have an immersion in the hot water tank. Is is ok to plug it in for hot water only?

I will work on the rads tomorrow.

Yes that is what it is designed for in your system, as a back up. Take care when you use hot water first time in case it has been left set high and hot water may be scalding!

Great

Thans for your help.

No doubt I will back on tommorow for advice after I fitted a couple of rads :D

Cheers

Hi

Help! I have tried refilling the system but am still getting the same error.

I have fitted a rad in the dining room and put boiler valves on the pipe end coming down from downstairs.

I have let the system refill and have bled all the rads. When i turn on the boiler there is a lot of water gurgling noise and the boiler trips with the same fault.

I am assuming I still have a ton of air in the system somewhere but i don't know what to bleed!

Here are some pictures of my airing cupbaord for ref. I haven't touched anything yet - I was waiting for advice :LOL:

I was hoping to get the boiler up and running then i could work on the other rads at ease!!

Any help from anyone in the know would be appreciated.

Lee

When you filled the system did you set the 2 port valves to manual open?

Make sure pump is set to 3

nope, I just untied the ballcock and let it go.

Should I move the valves to open now?

Yes set both to manual and bleed all rads and the bleed point next to the cylinder. When you turn the boiler on you should set temperature to minimum, about 30/35C. Make sure pump is on 3. These boilers are prone to faulting without a fast flow through them.

ok Dave,

Set the boiler temp to 38

I have put both valves to manual,

The pump is on 3 (already)

I have bled all the rads

I bled the pump

I bled the point on a pipe coming from the bottom of the cylinder.

Boiler still trips, and still sounds the north sea is running through the pipes!

Anything else I can try?

Cheers

Lee

lj329 said:
I bled the point on a pipe coming from the bottom of the cylinder.

Bleed point next to cylinder should be on flow pipe into it about half way up. Probably after h/w zone valve.

When you bleed upstairs rads do you get air/water out. Is there water in your f&e tank?

As a side issue have you added new inhibitor as you were filling system?

If you have no luck with above I suggest you drain down completely and start the fill process again. Unfortunately as the boiler controls the pump you cannot easily circulate the water to remove air before boiler comes on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back