Advice needed from a joiner pleaseeeeee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... I employed a builder to knock a wall through, plaster and then install 4 door folding system. The builder knocked the wall down and installed the RSJ himself. He got trades to do the rest. The problem is the joiner has made a mess of the doors and frame. I had to sack them it was that bad.

The issue is that no joiner near me will finish off someone else's work. So I am going to have to finish myself. Most of the stuff I am ok with... But I have a few questions:

1. How to I hide the screws in the frame? Plugs? I have timber off cuts that I could get plugs from but would need pointers.
2. The previous joiner cut the oak door from top to bottom. However he didn't realise it was an oak veneer door. So I need an oak edging strip 34mm . Where would I get this? Will it look ok?
3. The builders have scratches all my flooring as they used a shovel on it. All very light scratches on my tongue and grove real wood flooring. How do I fix this? Please don't say sand and seal the full floor lol

Sponsored Links
Looks like you got a bum deal, however all is not lost. I assume you've taken this up with the builder, as subcontractors to him not you he's liable/responsible!

Now to the works - first off a lipping can be used (how well matched will depend on it's notability) most timber merchants will have a section of hardwood beads, strips etc. you might get lucky, otherwise it's down to prep and glue on edging.

Plugs cut from the same wood (cross grain) and aligned with the grain will serve to cover the screw heads and eventually fade to unnoticeable.

I would try a good colour wax to fill the scratches, could take some time and effort though, "Liberon" do sticks for just such occations.

Good luck, let us know how you get on...pinenot :)

Frame should match the doors so no trimming should be necessary.
You can get a plug cutter to make up plugs to hide screws, assuming they were fitted with this in mind otherwise a wood filler could be used.
You could try polishing the floor to avoid re-sanding.
Door really needs replacing.
34mm wide or deep? Oak threshold might be ok glued and planed down.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-OAK...ories_LE&var=600067209685&hash=item460a2729ad

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back