advice needed on choice of boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

i need a new boiler, and have been advised by my plumber that i should get a combi gas boiler with 10-12 litre/minute output for my 2-bedroom flat. i would also like one with high efficiency, and, needless to say, as cheap as humanly possible without being totally garbage.

after a bit of looking around i've sort of decided on a saunier duval F24E - it has high fuel efficiency, 10 litres/minute output and the best price i've found is £663 (including vat).

i wondered if anyone on here could advise me as to reliabilty - is this a reliable manufacturer? Also, will 10 litres/minute be enough? i'm not bothered if my bath fills up 10% slower than an 11 litre model, but is there any other adverse effects of lower output i should know about?

and if anyone's feeling especially knowledgable, could you recommend a good boiler with comparable fuel efficiency and output for less cash? :D

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hot water and central heating must be the number one eesential luxury we have but the public still want to spend as little as they possibly can on it.

Then we wonder why theres no quality in anything made these days.

Boilers cost little more than they did 10 years ago.

The only other products like this are computer technology.

What you save on initial cost of boiler and installation you pay for in repairs and breakdowns.

Oscar Wilde said something like this;

"There is nothing in this World that cannot be made cheaper and more inferior".

If you are looking for something 'as cheap as humanly possible' your expectations should not differ Wildly from Oscar.

Sponsored Links
clearly you guys have got axes to grind about something, but i'm just looking for some advice and i happen to be on a low income.

any helpful people without attitude out there?

Yeh, had a spate of customers recently, too tight too pay for a decent installation and boiler, call me out and then winge when it comes to paying me to sort out the mess there in. And most of these customers have the flash motor, wide screen tv, sky etc etc... :(

i'm not doing the whinging here, mate.

anyone else, please disregard the questions on value and price. some advice on reliability and the flow rate question would be appreciated.

thanks

SD are the budget end of glowworm.IMHO The only decent boiler that i can recall coming from SD that was worth fitting was the Xeon, that was just litterly an ultimate with a different badge.

ok, so i take it saunier duvall are to be avoided.

i found a couple more possibles, can anyone tell me if they are reliable and worth getting?

Vokera Unica Gas Boiler 28 HE and

Trianco Tristar Junior K Condensing Combi Gas Boiler

thanks

Get a Potterton/Main 30HE - decent quality budget boiler. Nice to fit too. Make sure the system is prepared properly by the installer.

I have never recommended Saunier Duval boilers since they were the only boiler maker to have a premium rate telephone number for their technical advice to installers. Their earlier models also reliably leaked!

If you wanted a reliable but cheaper boiler then I would suggest a Biasi or Heatline or even a Ravenheat although the Vokera is just as good although more expensive.

Homeowners just will not understand that cleaning the system properly, normally by power flushing is more important then the make of their boiler.

Tony

Agile said:
Homeowners just will not understand that cleaning the system properly, normally by power flushing is more important then the make of their boiler.

Try fitting a Magnaclean on a previously open vented system that has been properly power flushed and then see what it pick up after just one day of running the central heating - you will be amazed.

ok, so i take it saunier duvall are to be avoided.

i found a couple more possibles, can anyone tell me if they are reliable and worth getting?

Vokera Unica Gas Boiler 28 HE and

Trianco Tristar Junior K Condensing Combi Gas Boiler

thanks

Worscter Bosch all the way thats all i fit they are well priced efficent and relatively trouble free hope this helps ps go on the worscter bosch website and you can fill out a questionaire ( 4 questions ) and it tells you what boiler you need

welshboy, stop digging up old threads.

and if you think Worcester Bosch are so good, isn't it about time you learnt to spell Worcester?

Although I would always recommend the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831, it appears this is outside your projected budget :cry:

I would therefore suggest you look at the Broag Remeha Advanta Plus 28C. These are about the same price as you want to pay including the standard flue.

Very good feedback and physically small as well. I personally would never fit a 24Kw combi for a customer as the baths will take too long to fill in mid winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back