Advice needed on new electrical trip fuse/trip box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have moved into our new house about 3 weeks ago and noticed there is a old fuse/trip box , which is annoying if the anything trips out etc as I would have to rewire the fuse . Does anyone know how much it would cost for an electrictian to fit a new and up to date box ? And what one do I get ?

Here is the photo of the old box we have. Think it was fitted in 1998

Attachments

• 20170415_151459.jpg
    20170415_151459.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
You can obtain spare fuse holders and have them wired ready for replacement or
Plug-in circuit breakers.

Is that a shower unit to the right? Just wondering, no problem.

3, 4, 5 hundred depending where you live and what you want.

1968 more like.

Nah. My Mum's early 80's house still has this exact fusebox. Fantastic bit of kit.

Agreed probably not 1998 though!

To the OP - pre-wired (edit - spare) fuseholders are a good plan. That said, fuses shouldn't be blowing frequently enough, and if they are, then there's some other issue that needs resolving.

Sponsored Links
To the right is the electric box (separate) to the power the light etc in the garage. Not very powerful though as I tried to use my litre saw and it tripped out straight away.

I have seen on the screwfix website fuse trip box start from £70 but that's only way. Obviously the dearest ones are 16 way fuse box but I wouldn't have a clue what 16 way means ??

Well, 16 way means you can have 16 MCBs. You wouldn't need that many.

However, if you chose to have 16 RCBOs (MCB and RCD in one) then that is 16 times 20 or 30 pounds for a start.

In this case, with just 5 circuits, I think RCBOs would be the way to go.

You could fit a 5+5 (10 ways, two RCDs) but there's going to be a lot of empty space

So you think this would be ok for me then

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170415-203122.png
    Screenshot_20170415-203122.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 260
You'll need an electrician to test the circuits and fit the consumer unit, so it would be better to ask him which one to fit.

So you think this would be ok for me then
Unless you have future electrical work planned you dont really need a dual rcd box.
A normal box with just a main switch and 5 individual RCBOs may be better, but as said it may get more involved and costly to DIY.

As EFLI said earlier you can get MCBs that fit that board to replace the fuses, if your only concern is them fusing.

As Stillp has said
You'll need an electrician to test the circuits and fit the consumer unit, so it would be better to ask him which one to fit.
Don't go buying a consumer unit yourself. Most electricians have their preferred brands (I know mine) and carry spares for those.
Personally I hate those calls when the customer says "I bought a consumer unit, can you just come and fit it for me". Its always a pain, most times it is wrong and takes more time and troule to resolve. I now will not take on jobs like that.
Really, leave it to your electrician. He/she will be your best guide to the several ways to do this job.

Really, leave it to your electrician. He/she will be your best guide to the several ways to do this job.
whssign.gif

Plus, (s)he will be able to get any new CU cheaper than you can.

BUT...

Hi we have moved into our new house about 3 weeks ago
Do nothing yet.

There is no point rushing to replace the fusebox before you've lived in the house for a while as you could so easily find that you want other changes made where it would be a no-brainer to do them all at the same time.

Do nothing yet.

Including decorating.

If you need to rewire or add cabling and points, you don't want to wreck your new decorations.

As far as the fuse box goes, IIRC, that design with the wooden pattress and brown unit goes back to 1956.

Not saying yours does, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back