advice needed on non square door frame please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Property is circa 1890s so nothing seems to be square or flat.

I want to replace the living room door but the door fits into the frame at the bottom but seems out at the top.

The current door is wood with 15 glass panels

The previous owners seem to have bent the door at the top so it will fit. This has left a door with a cracked side panel. It turns inwards. There is also no catch and they have been using a bathroom sliding bolt to shut the door from the inside :rolleyes:

My problem is that the walls are not flat or true, so any door will have this problem I think.

Any advice on what needs to be done to remedy this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
internal or external door!!!
how much out off line are you talking!!
check and see if the door stop will come off !!

think the bolt was put there to persuede the door to take the shape of the door frame over time?
as big all has suggested see if the stops will come off?
or you might be able to minimize the ammount by say bringing the butts out or in accordinaly?

It's the living room door (As I said :D )
The door fits at the bottom and at the top corner on the side where the hinges are. The other top corner is out by just over a 1cm.

Sorry to sound so ignorant but what are stops and butts? Are they the internal lengths of wood that the door shuts against?

They have all been heavily painted but I will probably heat gun the paint off anyway, so can see if I could angle the one side and the top to take into account the difference. Am I on the right track?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you are going to have to fake this one, but 1cm out of true isn't too much...remove the strips of wood that the door closes on to, punch the nails out and lightly tack them back into place so that they follow the edge of the door. See how they look. If they aren't offensive to the eye, then job done...if they are, you could try repositioning the hinges to see if you can compensate for things that way. Not the easiest job if you haven't done it before though! Cheers John :)

Thanks for that John. I'll have a go as I can't get someone in to do it for me. I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'm also putting up new architrave around the windows for the first time. One down (not too bad) 2 to go :LOL:

Hey go for it.....a great way to boost your skills and confidence. You'll do no harm. Don't overdo the nail size, and don't fully punch them in until your happy. Cheers John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back