Advice needed on raised pond please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I built this pond about five years ago and its walls are blocks internally and faced bricks externally. The inside was screeded then pond painted. About 6 months ago a hairline crack appeared on the outside and this has since transferred to the inside. I have noticed that a few bricks have cracked and some of the mortar also. I have knocked a bit if the screed off but there doesnt appear to be any block damage on the inside of where the bricks have cracked. I am concerned that one day it might just 'fall over' resulting in complete fish loss, is this a possibility or am i just being paranoid. I hope the pictures help! Thanks Phill

Sponsored Links
Not sure how i attach them to the topic but they are in my folders. I click on 'kaisershadow' and then i am able to view them, cheers

Sponsored Links
can you mark on the photos where the cracks are a little difficult to see them, although it looks more like the foundations have moved rather than from the pressure of the water, difficult to see though

are there areas where the cracks go straight through the bricks/ blocks and not just along the joints? I would imagine then that it is as thermo said movement in the found. Water pressure would crack/blow joints or spall the faces rather than cracks the bricks in a line like settlement.

What sort of footing/ raft did you put under there?

Only one hairline crack appeared on the inside, doesn't seem to loose any water but concrete path by the side is always wet. I dug down about 18 inches at least for the footings, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back