Advice needed please - washbasin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help?

The builders finished creating a new wetroom today. They are coming back tomorrow (Sat) to finish the associated decorating.

After they left I had a good look, and I really don't like the way the water pipes are so prominent and noticeable. So I looked online at similar installations and the water pipes never show in any photo, only the waste.

My questions are:

Has he made a mistake? If so, in what way?

If it's wrong, can it be put right?

Many thanks.

(PS don't be distracted by the tap not being above the basin, I swiveled it round.)

Attachments

• 2022-11-18 22.49.03.jpg
    2022-11-18 22.49.03.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
You thinking pipes closer and under tap so don't show so much?

Also steel ring (not plastic) against wall to cover cut tile pipe access holes..

You need to be constantly watching and talking to fitters regarding these things. No surprises

Nothing can be done now , sorry. The pics. online - were they working installations or displays with no flexis at all ?

You thinking pipes closer and under tap so don't show so much?

Also steel ring (not plastic) against wall to cover cut tile pipe access holes..

You need to be constantly watching and talking to fitters regarding these things. No surprises

Yes, from what I have seen and read online I believe the feed pipes should be invisible from above and only seen if one crouches down and peers underneath.

I don't comprehend your second sentence. Are you saying he should fit a steel ring and did not?

Are clients "constantly watching" their plumber all day every day for weeks? Who has time for that and would that not appear very rude to be sitting on a chair watching them all day?

Sponsored Links
Nothing can be done now , sorry. The pics. online - were they working installations or displays with no flexis at all ?

That's terrible - really? I can't stand looking at those pipes. There must be a way. The pics were all online. There were no captions saying if they were working installations or not. I found several YT videos and a couple of webpages that said or showed wall hung basins with the feed pipes up high and hidden behind the waste.

Last edited:
1. Those taps, like most modern ones, come with flexible hose connectors. These must be fitted so that they have only gentle curves, and no kinks otherwise they fail.
2. Where you don't have a pedestal or cabinet under the basin its hard to see how you won't have them on show.
3. When separate taps were piped up in copper it was possible to bring the pipes out higher up the wall and, as you hoped, become almost invisible. If using a pedestal they could be brought up from the floor and bent to run behind the pedestal (making access to the waste trap a minor nightmare!). Also the pipes could be painted.
4. You might like to look at putting a wall hung vanity unit under the basin, although this may be difficult with the basin already installed. Or boxing in and tiling to match. If you do, make sure it is easily removable. Don't be tempted to paint the flexis, the paint might cause the rubber under the metal braid to fail.
5. The only thing I would say is that it might have been better bringing the pipes out of the wall slightly lower down into a 90 degree elbow. Then attaching the isolation valves to the elbow and bringing them up closer to the wall.

It looks quite neat to me with the flexi pipes running symmetrically.

I think the 'rings' Wayners is referring to are where the pipes meet the wall
A bit like this. You may have something similar where radiator or towel rail pipes go into the floor or wall.

I don't think any thought has been used by the plumber. Having a quick Google, I would have expected something more like this below. Is this difficult to do, or does it have any downsides?

1668853516117.png

Nope ... there hasn't been any thought given to those supply pipes. When installing a floating basin like that then care should be taken to minimise any exposed pipework.

The only way I could see how that could be tidied up without cutting out the tilework would be to use 2x bent isolation valves, as per the pic from @JonathanM, then 2 short lengths of clipped chrome pipe running up under the basin, then use 2 short tap flexi tails and make the connection up underneath.

What would have been the ideal way to do it, if you were starting from scratch?
Pipes exiting the wall could have been higher, would then have been hidden away better. I agree with some comments that it doesn't look too bad.

There's plenty of room under that basin for the flexis. Live with it or get the fitter to raise the pipe work. It's poor planning.

The workmanship itself looks neat. But, as far as I am concerned, it shows a total lack of understanding as to what is required, ergonomically, when installing a designer wash basin, in this type of setting. If the tiles are removed, could it be done more like the photo above?

Did you tell the installer exactly what you wanted and importantly, was the sanitary ware on site to see what was required?
It looks like a standard first fix with hot, cold and waste bought out together. Fine for almost anything apart from the basin you've got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back