Advice needed re Flue cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old boiler has recently been replaced and I want to put a cap over the end of the chimney flue where it appears in my fireplace. It is a 5" flue but I can only find either chimney caps (for the other end of the flue) or flexible caps which don't seem to come in the correct sizes (nearest I can find is 115mm although I did find a 125mm one on ebay but there was £7.50 postage on top of the price - and it's still not quite the right size!).
Does anyone know if there is a readily available cap I can use?
I did wonder if it just had a name that I hadn't stumbled on yet.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what you're trying to cap, can you post some pictures?

Funny that! My brother capped his in the same manner to reduce the draught in this case.

He found a device that fit perfectly and would fit various sized openings and called it ......

old scrumpled up newspaper :!: :evil: ;)

Sponsored Links
Here is a pic of the offending flue end. I have temporarily filled it with some polystyrene packing but I'd like something a bit more permanent until we get around to removing the old flue and redecorating.

[/img]

What about a plastic flower put cut down & rammed on. You can get them in black.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just surprised that there doesn't seem to be something available off the shelf for this.
It looks like a bodge is called for until I get round to removing the flue and capping the chimney when the weather improves.

TBH your current 'bodge' should be quite sufficient until you can cap the chimney. It looks effective and waterproof as a temporary measure.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just surprised that there doesn't seem to be something available off the shelf for this.
It looks like a bodge is called for until I get round to removing the flue and capping the chimney when the weather improves.
The problem is probably that no one would actually pay for an off the shelf design. You even had a problem with paying post and packing.

Is said, ram some newspaper or rags up. In fact, that collar may either come off, or be able to be pushed up and out of site. then fill with mortar and plaster over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back