Advice needed with bathroom electrical works please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've only just joined the forum after coming here for information gathering on countless occasions..... so please be gentle.

I've just recently bought my first house and because money was tight, and the opportunity arising, I bought a repossessed property that needed work. I'm pretty handy(pun intended) with my hands and tools so thought nothing of it, but have discovered a number of bigger problems since occupying the house. I had a sparky do a pre test of the whole house and only a few things needed doing.

Most of it I can work out for myself, but for legal reasons the bathroom is causing concern.

At this time there was no running water or gas in the house as I had to find out who supplied them plus they had been cut off and drained due to kids breaking in when it was left empty for a year on the market.
upon removal and closer inspection of the 1st floor bathroom(which is only 1.8m x 1.4m) I had to make things safe which included removing a double switched socket from the wet wall(partition cavity with the power shower and tap piping) and fixing it up in the loft, removing the standard reccessed downlighters((real cheap and nasty with free rust) because they weren't suitable for zone 1 and in the ceiling they were covered with loft insulation and floor boards with no protection against overheating and fire)), and disconnecting a rather dangerously installed extractor fan(it was wired directly to one of two 12v 50W pot transformer that were feeding the four 50W halogen lamps)?!?

Questions:
1) Should i have notified the local authority before making safe?

2) As these fittings are just being replaced do I need to notify anybody?

3) Does it really cost about £700 just to have your work checked by Bournemouth Council??!?? :eek:

Sponsored Links
So you did this work:

1. removing a double switched socket outside the bathroom zones (Not notifiable)
2. Adding a socket in a loft to an existing circuit (not notifiable)
3. Replaced or added light fittings in bathroom (only notifiable if ADDING lights, AND within the zones; the zones end 2.25 metres from the floor, so unless your ceilings are very low, then not notifiable)
4. Disconnected a fan with electrical connection in loft (not notifiable)

I reckon your £700 is safe, and anyway, it's too late since you've already done it!

More details here: Schedule 4

£700 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bet they get loads of law-abiding notifications... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
....... it's too late since you've already done it!

That was my main concern. I will be getting the house signed off for reselling reasons so I want it to be spot on legaly and after trawling through the .gov sites I've come to the conclusion that there is no consistancy on legislation and charges. Very worrying for a DIYer with very little money to spare.
Thanks for the help and peace of mind bud. :D

£700 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bet they get loads of law-abiding notifications... :rolleyes:

If I read the table pointed out by EFLImpudence right. :cry:

I must admit to having the naughty thought of just getting it done before the next visit by my sparky but being a bit of a wannabe perfectionist I want to do it right and double checked by him.

The work you've described is not notifiable as far I understand. If you have an electrician, then you could have him double check/test the circuits you worked on (maybe all of them) as per an electrical condition inspection report if you want peace of mind.

You would also be able to present such as evidence of a sound electrical installation if a buyer (or a buyer's solicitor) asked questions (pertinent or otherwise).

The work you've described is not notifiable as far I understand. If you have an electrician, then you could have him double check/test the circuits you worked on (maybe all of them) as per an electrical condition inspection report if you want peace of mind.

You would also be able to present such as evidence of a sound electrical installation if a buyer (or a buyer's solicitor) asked questions (pertinent or otherwise).

I know it's probably just me worrying about nothing really but the rules have lots of grey areas in my opinion. For instance, the sparky has done a full inspection for my peace of mind and to help me prioritize the jobs so surely it will tell that I've done fixed wiring in the bathroom, not to mention the harmonized grey wiring added to the circuits? Does he have to show all relevant documentation when he notifies the local authority?

I really can't afford to get hit with a bill, court hearing or reversion costs later on. And the sparky costs £225 a day too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back