Advice on a one pipe central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have been told that the heating system in my house is a one pipe system rather than the usual two pipe system.

Is there anything I can do other than get a whole new system put in to make the heating more effective?

I don’t really want to be spending a fortune as I don’t plan on staying here forever.

Sponsored Links
More effective? What seems to be the issue? How about you post a photo or describe the system? We can tell you then if it’s one pipe or not.

The radiators upstairs don’t seem as hot as the ones downstairs yet they are new radiators and the boiler is not that old either.

Sponsored Links
They have the 1-6 numbered valve things on. Sorry I’m not technical at all lol.

The plumber that changed my radiators and services my boiler said it was a one pipe and that they generally aren’t as good as two pipe but he thought I would be ok with it. I just can’t seem to get upstairs very warm but the radiators are quite big.

Ok, if you’ve new rads and a newish boiler, still could be one pipe, hard to tell. The numbered thing's are Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV’s), and large radiators might be why it’s not working, along with it potentially being unbalanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back