Advice on a very dodgy double glazing fit

Sponsored Links
The trickle vents were on the old windows. FENSA told me they were writing to him about 'other' issues also as he didn't bother ringing them again after he said he was going to 'check his records'. I seriously think I would deck him if I saw him again its made me that mad.

This picture demostrates why - how rubbish is the silicone he has used? On a side it seems they have used the plastic in the picture to cover gaps between window and plaster, what should they have done instead, the special expanding foam and touching up the plaster? I don't really understand why they just didn;t make the windows flush to the plaster

I just wished he would cease trading so I can claim on the elusive indemity insurance network veka supply!

The fitters have come back, they are here now, but he is pretty clueless.

He is re doing all the sealant and I checked it is the low modulus stuff.

In relation to the wind he is re fitting some different blocks, has checked the glass and has re sealed all the gaps. He can't think of anything else, but I am pretty convinced the wind noise will still happen.

Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
6 months to a year seems to be all the time new windows last without drafts with all these dodgy fitters out there...

I ended up taking off all the trim between the walls and frame together with the slicon, then redoing it myself.
There were some big gaps between the plaster and frame which I squirted a load of slicon in.

In my case part of the problem was the windows were not securely fixed to the wall as they couldn't be bothered, especially to drill through the metal lintle at the top of the window.
This movement created a lot of the gap problems.
This movement can be hidden with all the silicon and trims holding the window in place for a while.

They came to my house 14 times in all, and still weren't able to manage some basic silicon sealing.
You definitely want to get on a ladder and check the outside of every window if you haven't done this already.

If you're capable of doing it, I'd do the sealing yourself.

FENSA = cowboy licence

Agree, they have re done all the sealant now, so if it goes again thats exactly what I will be doing along with removing the internal window trim and plasterering up to the frame (as they left gaps to cover the old silicone that was still stuck to the wall).

Would anyone suggest using the expanding foam before the silicone to fill the gap between the insude and out?

Would anyone suggest using the expanding foam before the silicone to fill the gap between the insude and out?

thats normaly what we use :confused:

Well with the recent winds it was a good test for the re work. fairly impressed the 4 windows with the issues there is no noise - hurrah - slight problem being that we now have a noise in our bedroom - booooo

So I plan to remove the wedges they fitted and see what happens.

The noise definately seems to be coming from the bottom part of the opening window and frame and not between wall and frame, not sure how foam and silicone will solve this, but will give it a go if it persists.

anyone got any other inspirational ideas?

sounds like the weatherseals aren't sealing correctly. It is usually possible to adjust the locks or keeps to make them close tighter.

well, in the end i removed the plastic trims round the inside of the windows and plastered over the 10mm gap they had left because they couldn't be bothered to cut the boards and create a snug fit. surprise surprise the noise has gone. nowt wrong with the windows just the rubbish way they have been fitted.

Following on from my noise trials and tribulations, one of the windows in the bathroom started to develop water inbetween the windows. In the last 3 or 4 months the other 3 b/room windows have done the same and a bedroom window is misted up.

Could these issues be down to the fit, I am assuming its not the windows as they were from the veka network which should be pretty reasonable. I could understand the odd one going, but 5 seems too many?

Needless to say on past experience getting the company out to sort them out within the 10 year guarantee could be difficult. The windows are 2 years old.

To be honest this should be one of the things the guarantee should cover without any get out clauses. Be interesting to know why 5 have failed in quick sucession. Poor workmanship on behalf of the glass shop me thinks

or poor frame construction or nstallation allowing moisture/water to collect in the glazing rebate causing the sealed unit glue to fail.
2 years is a bit quick though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back