Advice on bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've justed removed wallpaper from bathroom ceiling and the ceiling looks in good shape. However the ceiling is not plasterboard but some sort of chipboard ?? I live in a 1950's bungalow, would they use this type of material for the ceiling ?

What i would like to achieve is a flat ceiling, so i'm toying with the idea of skimming the ceiling with Artex ceiling finish (would this be the right product?). Can I skim straight onto these boards or would i need to take the old ceiling down and put plasterboards up ?

If i can skim straight onto the current boards what sort of prep work would need to be done.

Any advise help poniters would be very much appreciated

Kin

Sponsored Links
Can you have a look in the loft and see if it not wooden lath strip you're looking at.Not heard of chipboard on ceiling,can you drill thru' for thickness or break a bit and see what it is before you do anything.If it solid board make sure it is screw into ceiling joists and I can't see no reason why you cannot put plasterboard onto the boards with plasterboard screws.If you skim over the board I think you will have problem regarding hairline crack etc where with plasterboard you don't as it doesn't expand and any skim materials will penetrate on plasterboard better.Don't forget electric cable and water pipe above the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
I would put up a layer of moistureboard. Better finish, better resistance to moisture!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back