Ceiling Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an office without ceiling, the joists are there. I need to fit a ceiling, am trying to avoid plasterboard. skim and paint, can I paint plasterboard without plaster skim? It's office so not too fussed about the finish.
What other "easy" options do I have?
Pic attached

Thanks

office ceiling.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes fit insulation & plasterboard & then paint. For a slightly better job you could tape or fill the joints & screw heads.

Sponsored Links
Hire board lifter at £30 a day or £55 a week.

Pick up late Monday and take back Wednesday 9am and that's a day if your crafty. Ha.

Need timbers fitted across as you go so all the joins are screwed. No flapping joins.
SE board is fine.
Pva the dry board ends as you go
Just tape joins and damp sponge / fill.
Fill screw holes
Get best you can
Paint

What about insulation?
Going to bother

Hire board lifter at £30 a day or £55 a week.

Pick up late Monday and take back Wednesday 9am and that's a day if your crafty. Ha.

Need timbers fitted across as you go so all the joins are screwed. No flapping joins.
SE board is fine.
Pva the dry board ends as you go
Just tape joins and damp sponge / fill.
Fill screw holes
Get best you can
Paint

What about insulation?
Going to bother
What is SE board?
Cheers

I have just came across ceiling pvc cladding, pic below, they are more expensive than plasterboard but doesn't need paint or decorating and easy to install, are they OK to use?

pvc cladding.jpg

Get a board lifter. You can jack up. Mark. Lower and cut. Jack up. Lower again if needed and wheel out the way. Have tea. Jack up again. You get the idea.
Seems people struggle and lift up and screw in place vs drop down and trim as all too difficult. Ends up a mess and a struggle. It's not rocket science.
Put pencil line where joist is across board keeping screws in line.
Cut noggings as you go so all the sides are supported (cross timbers in between joists at board edges with screw either end to the hold)
Get on blower and get it all delivered

Have you had a look at a Suspended Ceilings commonly used in Offices?
This sort of thing
https://www.ceilingstore.co.uk/suspended-ceiling-tiles--grid-calculator-166-p.asp
Suspended is pretty easy to do, simply because it is very light. It does require a decent laser, a couple of string lines, a pair of tin snips and a few long jaw "Mole" type clamps. I'd prefer to do that instead of plasterboarding as there is a lot less mess and start to finish it's as quick or quicker than PB

OP, either way you need to think about lighting as well when you do this job.

There's another alternative as well, vinyl stretched ceiling, but this is more costly than suspended plasterboard - however it is very fast and mess-free

I have just came across ceiling pvc cladding, pic below, they are more expensive than plasterboard but doesn't need paint or decorating and easy to install, are they OK to use?
Yes. They often get used on jobs like residential sales offices, exhibition stands, etc because they ar e light, fast and relatively mess free

Yes. They often get used on jobs like residential sales offices, exhibition stands, etc because they ar e light, fast and relatively mess free

I think am gone use the pvc cladding, they look nice modern and maintenance free plus ideal for office with LED tubes.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back