Insulation Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was hoping somebody could give a bit of advice on insulation?

I have a 2 storey extension that was done in the 70s and therefore is built with brick with no cavity and has a flat roof.

The bedroom on the first floor only has two walls that are outward facing, the other two are plasterboard (with fitted wardrobes across one wall) and the other where the door is.

My problem is the bedroom on the top is absolutely freezing in when it is cold out to the point of being able to see condensation as we breathe. Whereas, in summer it is boiling hot.

So I am thinking to have insulation added via plasterboard backed (32mm) with insulation to the wall using dot and dab and to the ceiling over the existing plaster board by fixing it to the joists.

A couple of questions I have is have read kingspan k17 or K18 seem to be the best but am unsure of the difference of the two? Also where do you buy them from??

Is it ok to add the insulated plaster board straight to the ceiling - do I need to leave a gap?

Does it have to have a plaster/skim finish? Can the joints be filled and painted?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I would cut a small hole in the ceiling to find out what is there
(Plasterboard saw £3 wilkinsons)
If there is no insulation I would remove the ceiling measure the depth and fill between the rafters with kingspan or celotex then fit plaster boards then get someone in to skim the ceilings.

If it had glass fibre insulation you could still replace it with celotex which is at least twice as effective. Or you could add plaster board/insulation boards as additional insulation. You may need to extend the ceiling light cable. Possibly put a led transformer and fit some led down lights? As your ceiling height will be a bit lower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back