advice on best boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am having a new boiler in the next few weeks. About time too, not had one since I bought the place back in May. Had a back boiler but I knew this was not the heating solution I wanted so I had it removed along with the tank etc.
I'm now ready to have a new combi fitted, at least 28kw. Problem is, there is so much choice. In terms of reliability, which is the best brand? I've looked at so mant that my mind is spinning now and I've forgotten what I've looked at so I thought the views of some unbiased experts may help me

Hope this question doesn't bore you too much!!!!

Weston

Sponsored Links
You've come to the right place for advice, but the wrong place for an unbiased opinion :LOL:

Every brand have their ups&downs but it all boils down to how much you have to spend.

You say you're having one installed? - Hasn't the engineer already quoted for a specific boiler? :confused:

make sure your system is flushed or chemically cleaned properley and get a vaillant or baxi in there they both do 28kw or more if req.and are mid range

There's a list of manufacturers as long as our arms, but it's all down to what heat you require, what you have to spend, and what you'd like to have.

As newgas says, Vaillant/Baxi are decent brands.

Baxi/Potterton/Main are pretty much the same company, and there range of boilers are pretty much the same.

Vaillant, Veissman and INTERGAS seem to have some pretty kick ass boilers on the market...

And Worcester-Bosch (whom, rumour has it, are offering upto 5 years Parts&Labour Warranty?)

Sponsored Links
I would stay clear of anyone who has fixed views of what boiler to "tell" you to get.

Its your choice but the installer should advise you but anything he says will be biased and probably motivated by what mark up he thinks he can get at the moment.

Your objective is solely to get a good boiler at a reasonable price.

But the bigest factor in reliability is not the boiler make but how clean the system is when its installed.

Tony

Thanks for the replies

the guy that is going to do the job is happy with my choices. I'm currently looking at Main and Veissmann. He prefers Veissmann cos he has been on their course and can offer the 5yr guarantee but, i,ve heard bad things about the customer service. Her doesn't agree but then he wouldn't I suppose.
With the price of the installation I have about £800 to spend on a boiler and maybe a little more
That's £800 for the boiler alone, the work is extra!

Weston66

RIP BIG MAL :(

Viessmann make a very good boiler with stainless steel internals and a very good guarantee provided it is fitted by one of their approved installers (check on their website) but they are not cheap (nor should they be)

If you want a good boiler you will have to save up a bit longer.

As you previously had an old open boiler, you will need the old radiators and pipes flushed out thoroughly, as they will be full of rust and sediment, and preferably also fit a sediment trap such as a Magnaclean or Spirovent. This will cost about £100 extra in parts but is well worth it.

A thorough powerflush will take about half a day and ought to be done before the new boiler is fitted to prevent dirt, sediment and particles getting into it. they will cause the pump and other moving parts to wear out sooner, even if they don't clog it.

If you are fond of DIY plumbing you could take the opportunity, while the rads are drained, to fit new TRVs and lockshield valves on all rads, and check or replace the vents. This is labour-intensive but fairly simple, so will save a lot if you don't have to pay someone to do the work.

Changing them now will reduce the risk of a later costly repair if you get old ones leaking or jamming, and the TRVs will save you money on inefficient heating.

Don't forget to insulate , especially the loft, and draughtproof

p.s. My Viessmann has been in 2 years, never had a fault, and my gas bill went down by a third. However the Viessmann-trained installer who owns the business went on holiday, and his workmen made a couple of mistakes that did not get fixed until the boss came back. If your installer is a skilled man who does it all himself, you should not get this problem. It is a premier product and deserves a premier installation at a premier price.

I'm now ready to have a new combi fitted, at least 28kw.
How do you know that you need that size boiler? Have you measured the water flow rate?

Have you calculated the heat loss in the house to make sure the boiler will modulate low enough?

If your budget is £800 for a boiler then look at Remeha Broag.

Reliable, performs well and looks quite nice ;)

Do yourself a favour, and fit weather compensation with the new boiler - the on-cost is very small indeed if fitted with the boiler.

On some models the W/C has to be achieved using the Vitronic 200.

In those cases I dont see about £160 as being "very small".

Whilst Viessmann boilers may be quite good when their setup matches the requirements, their marketing and pricing needs some work by the Sales Director.

The 200 boiler is supplied with a "constant temperature controler". This has to be thrown away when you are going to fit the £160 controller for W/C.

Tony

£800 budget all the following are good boilers for around that money

glowworm ultracom2
baxi duotech
viessmann 100
remeha avanta
vaillant ecotec pro

but most importantly listen to your chosen installer, if he's more comfortable with viessmann then go with that.

Thanks again,

I'm fancying the Veissman to be honest cos it's German and that usually means good manufacturing. What is the difference between the 100 and 200 though?
Also I have checked my flow rates (mains, dhw) and it points towards a 28kw. And as regards heat loss from the house I am having a quote on tuesday for loft and cavity wall insulation so that should solve that problem.
Also reckon i'll have a Magnaclean fitted whilst I'm at it. I may as well be totally skint instead of almost!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back