Advice on best way to do vertical timber cladding on new build house onto thermalites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for help on best way to:

1 Fix vertical battens to thermalites - i.e. What type of fixing
2 fix counter battens to wall battens - screw or paslode?

Its a massive house so I'm looking for any high productivity tips (y)

Cheers Notch

Sponsored Links
You can certainly first fix nail into Thermalites. I recommend that you skew the nails in alternatively

Have you considered 15ga nails for the counter battening?

You can certainly first fix nail into Thermalites. I recommend that you skew the nails in alternatively

Have you considered 15ga nails for the counter battening?

Many thanks.

Would first fix nailing hold firmly enough for supporting cladding?

The construction is:
Cavity wall with thermalites in and out
Tyvek house wrap
Vertical battens
Horizontal counter battens
20mm thick vertical Siberian Larch cladding.

The battens are 38mm x 25mm

The job is a grand designs type ultra modern build, for somebodies home. The son is project manager.

Im helping out a friend, who is a fairly skilled chippie but he is disorganised and doesn't have many contacts for labourers etc - I feel he has bitten a bit too much. He has given the customer an indication of 3 weeks for 4 people to do the felt and battening and 8!weeks to do the cladding.....god knows how he came up with that (rolled some dice, I think)

Out of interest do you have any rule of thumb work rates for cladding? I just wondered how many square metres a day is typical. (Cladding has a cover width of just 80mm)

I'm getting the planning drawings at the weekend so I shall work out the approx meterage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back