Advice on timber panelled wall in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to do a feature wall in a kitchen, in a nice hardwood, ie. something much nicer than a standard pine wall. I don't want it looking like a clad fence panel! :) Like the thought of walnut, Zebrano (altho I know this is extortionate!), Cherry, Maple etc. It's an area about 5sq/m.

Has anyone got any advice on what suitable wood would work well, ie. do some swell more than others, need more/less care etc?

Also how's the best way to fix to wall? Is the traditional T&G the best method to hide any gaps caused through contraction? Or do I just buy solid wood flooring and use that?

I'll be fixing onto battens about 25mm thick (driven by a steel post which sits out from the wall surface which I want to overlap to cover up)

Sponsored Links
Any hardwood will do in the kitchen, cost will be a major factor especially wood s like zebrano and machining cost will also be a factor ,pine comes ready machined from all wood outlets hardwood may be more difficult to find

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back