Kitchen end panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty much completed fitting my new kitchen and just have 3 end panels to go on. So far all end panels have been fitted to the ends (naturally!) and are screwed through from the inside with no problems.

However, these last 3 are fitted to a being fitted where the kitchen has a 'return' coming off the main wall, so instead of screwing onto a sold side piece they are in effect being fitted onto the rear of a floor unit and that only has a very thin 3-4mm thick flimsy piece of wood nailed on.

so question is, what's the best way to fit them ? Would a 'no more nails' type glue be sufficient ? Or do I need to fit some batons across and screw through those ?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Use silicone, it will be easy to position and will hold very well. Make sure you hold it in place with 'tape' while the silicone goes off.

Andy

Simple 'L' brackets internally, screwed through inside assuming you have full depth cup'ds on the return.Are the backs 20mm or thinner board?

I reckon a photo of the situation your describing would be worth a thousand words. I can't get my head round the fixing the end panel to a flimsy piece of 3mm wood nailed on.

Sponsored Links
I reckon a photo of the situation your describing would be worth a thousand words. I can't get my head round the fixing the end panel to a flimsy piece of 3mm wood nailed on.
I think he is referring to the cup'd backs [thin chipboard or hardboard]?

yeah sorry should have been a bit clearer, its the thin chipboard back of the units that i mean. because the unit in question is a return then that backing is now the main side that needs the end panel screwed to.

i have the L brackets but cant see them being secured strongly enough through the back panel as its so thin.

i glued one last night with liquid nails and secured it with tape and a baton screwed to the underside to stop it slipping and this morning it seems to be holding solid

Ahh, I see what you mean now. Is there a service void at the back of the units? If there is then as Foxhole says, L brackets should suffice, alternatively those plastic corner blocks would be alright to use.

thanks for the advice, no void at the back so i'll use the plastic corner blocks and a bit of liquidnails and tha should do the job

yeah sorry should have been a bit clearer, its the thin chipboard back of the units that i mean. because the unit in question is a return then that backing is now the main side that needs the end panel screwed to.

i have the L brackets but cant see them being secured strongly enough through the back panel as its so thin.

i glued one last night with liquid nails and secured it with tape and a baton screwed to the underside to stop it slipping and this morning it seems to be holding solid
The brackets,blocks are secured to the carcass and back of panel, the back of cup'd is ignored, forms no part of the fixing.

I'm guessing you've fitted the worktops before the blank panels.......be much easier job fitting w/tops last. Apologies if I've guessed wrong.
Steve

worktops were done last by a joiner, thats one job a little too skilled for me !!

kitchen now totally finished and looking good if i do say so myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back