Advice on Brick Laying skills.

Aye, it does sound like a bit of a steel, although in practice some of these tools don't quite work out. Might give it a whirl to be honest and start a practice wall/BBQ whilst looking into a course.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I started using the "bricky" tool but soon gave up on it.
Why did you give up on it?

I found working to a line and trying to use the tool resulted in the two methods "fighting". Then I did a row of bricks with the tool and the bond was loose, since no mortar squeezes up into the holes in the brick due to the flat bed. Also, the tool produces a recessed pointing, which would have looked wrong on my house. In addition, you need normal bricklaying techniques for corners, the first course etc. So a variety of reasons.
I must admit though, I found the block tool useful for buttering the sides of blocks.
Cheers,
Simon.

Your local council adult education programmes often offer courses like this, often in the evenings, local, run by ex-trades, and vey reasonably priced. Well they are round here anyway. Contents as they say may vary.

Sponsored Links
I started using the "bricky" tool but soon gave up on it.
Why did you give up on it?

I found working to a line and trying to use the tool resulted in the two methods "fighting". Then I did a row of bricks with the tool and the bond was loose, since no mortar squeezes up into the holes in the brick due to the flat bed. Also, the tool produces a recessed pointing, which would have looked wrong on my house. In addition, you need normal bricklaying techniques for corners, the first course etc. So a variety of reasons.
I must admit though, I found the block tool useful for buttering the sides of blocks.
Cheers,
Simon.

Is recessed pointing only available via this tool then? I guess if you were building an extension then the current pointing would dictate what the new build would have to look like, this is where, I suppose, such tools fall down. Still worth a punt to get me 'off the starting blocks' though? I think rather than muttering about/planning to give this a go I should grab this tool, watch the DVD, grab some bricks and start practicing...perhaps commencing a brick BBQ in the process!

Your local council adult education programmes often offer courses like this, often in the evenings, local, run by ex-trades, and vey reasonably priced. Well they are round here anyway. Contents as they say may vary.

Cheers Eddie - sounds like a fine idea - will look into that.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back