Advice on building a frame for a 700x700 shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have to raise the tray up enough to be able to get the correct fall. I have been advised to use 2x4 timber, I have to secure it to a tiled floor which I believe is concrete underneath.

Any tips on best ways to build the actual frame and allowing for the waste pipe to poke out through the wood and securing the whole thing to the floor - would be very appreciated.

Thank-you

Sponsored Links
Plan where your waste will be and build around using the batons like a grid, and add as many lengths of timber as it takes (more is best) as you want this as solid as possible with no movement!

Remember to use WBP plywood 18mm thick on your frame and stone trays are advisable, fix the tray down with sand/cement.

Job done:cool:

If the tray is a good quality rigid one and you definately have solid floors,
theres only one thing to use five or six breeze blocks. Bedded on a mortar bed then mortar on top of the blocks then tray bedded on that.

Obviously waste pipework installed in position first.

theres only one thing to use five or six breeze blocks. Bedded on a mortar bed then mortar on top of the blocks then tray bedded on that.

Thanks I will do it this way, will I have an issue with bedding the blocks onto tiles?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have to raise the tray up enough to be able to get the correct fall. I have been advised to use 2x4 timber, I have to secure it to a tiled floor which I believe is concrete underneath.

Any tips on best ways to build the actual frame and allowing for the waste pipe to poke out through the wood and securing the whole thing to the floor - would be very appreciated.

Thank-you

We always use 4x2 CLS to make the frame & bed the tray on 12mm exterior ply. That's a nice size for a 90mm white UPVC strip around the bottom of the tray. The CLS is easy to level up on any floor & it gives you more options for the waste pipe.
HTH

Thanks I will do it this way, will I have an issue with bedding the blocks onto tiles?

None whatsoever providing the tiles are well bedded down, and if its a solid floor this method with the tray bedded on mortar on blocks will give an absolutely solid feel when the tray is used. ten times faster than using ply and timber ! and ten times better!

Put the tray in to position on the floor draw round it (masking tape on the tiles) draw where the waste will be through the outlet, dry fit everything to check position put the blocks in position, move to accommodate waste pipes so when you mix the mortar you know everythings going to fit.

And most importantly make sure the edge of the tray is back from the surafce of the tiles and well sealed befroe you tile !!!!!

None whatsoever providing the tiles are well bedded down, and if its a solid floor this method with the tray bedded on mortar on blocks will give an absolutely solid feel when the tray is used. ten times faster than using ply and timber ! and ten times better!

Put the tray in to position on the floor draw round it (masking tape on the tiles) draw where the waste will be through the outlet, dry fit everything to check position put the blocks in position, move to accommodate waste pipes so when you mix the mortar you know everythings going to fit.

And most importantly make sure the edge of the tray is back from the surafce of the tiles and well sealed befroe you tile !!!!!

Brill, thank-you so much for all the helpful advice, the bathroom is already tiled so will just seal it after fixing to floor. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back