advice on building a shed

I have come across a few websites about shed building and they all say use CLS timber. What is this? Can anyone expalin the differences between: kiiln dried softwood, the heavy, pressure treated wood (light greenish in colour and is often kept ouside in places like Wickes) and CLS. I'm trying to calculate the amount of wood needed for the frame, and was wondering which to go for. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, My shed is going in the corner of a garden and I figured out that two walls won't be visible. Well (and no I'm not leaving them out to save money..... though it did cross my mind!) I was thinking of using some kind of exterior grade plywood. Would this work, or would it get soaked. What thickness would be best, and should it be painted or treated with a typical fence preserver- type of stain.

Sponsored Links
seneca said:
Also, My shed is going in the corner of a garden and I figured out that two walls won't be visible. Well (and no I'm not leaving them out to save money..... though it did cross my mind!) I was thinking of using some kind of exterior grade plywood. Would this work, or would it get soaked.
Done my back and side wall with precast slabs and bolted them together then timber studwork the rest with cladding in front of summerhouse because there was no way I can get to it for painting etc. Bought the slabs 2nd hand (hairline cracked or slightly damaged corners) for half price, £15 per panel including delivery.

About 1.8m x 500mm, also many smaller sizes and corner section ;)

shedaccess.jpg

windsorsmallshed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not mine, my summerhouse is a little bit bigger :D

The back and side are precast slabs which you cannot see, then I put timber log cladding on front and the side you can see so it look like a shed ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back