Advice on Central Heating Temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my worcester bosch cdi37 combi boiler issue fixed (intermittent problem with temperature of hot water - the heat exchanger was replaced under warranty).

Next time the heating came on I noticed that the radiators were the hottest ever. They were dangerously hot. So I then checked the heating settings and noticed the engineer had left at max. I've no idea what the dial was set at before!!
Whilst checking the boiler instructions, the book suggests a range of "40 °C and 90 °C." Looking at the dial this range is from 1-6, plus the minimum and max.
I've seen some information on websites suggesting that if the dial is left at max then this will use too much gas. I've spoken to the technical team at Worcester Bosch and they've suggested either number 6.
So I'm wondering what should the heating dial be left at, looking at trying to use the least amount of gas but keeping the house at a comfortable level.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
If you want maximum efficiency, turn it down to the lowest number you can get away with whilst still being warm

The temp the boiler runs at is less important than the room stat setting and it's position.Have mine at 6 and work fine, too low and the boiler will run constantly and rooms will never be warm enough,the room stat needs to be in main living area or a position where it keeps the main living areas at required temp, for this I have a wireless stat as it offers better flexibilty.

Used to have mine on 2 in winter and drop it to 1m, I think, in when it got warmer.

Sponsored Links
The temp the boiler runs at is less important than the room stat setting and it's position.Have mine at 6 and work fine, too low and the boiler will run constantly and rooms will never be warm enough ...
That doesn't make sense. The last bit is OK.

I thought the standard recommended water temperature was 60c? Dunno what that would be on a dial numbered 1-6 though. I would just turn it up to max and let the room stat do the controlling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back